1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It still amazes me that he filmed that show 10 days before he died.

2. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Yeah. And it didn't appear like he knew he was finished.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't know when they filmed it, but it sure seemed like a bucket list item when they filmed at the Wailing Wall and other spots in Israel/The Middle East.

I don't believe in the afterlife, but if I did, I imagine Alex is stumping even god with some esoteric Shakespeare clue.

Wenders likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Ken Jennings wasn’t bad as the host. Let’s see if he finds his rhythm before his trial run ends.

RIP, Alex

Wenders likes this.
  5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I didn't like Jennings on The Chase, but perhaps that's because the guy who did it on the GSN version has a commanding presence that Ken doesn't.

6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Here's a vote against Jennings. His tribute was nice. His delivery is not. Plus, his voice is annoying.

Vombatus likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I understand that this is a show for MENSA wannabes and other smart people, but being a bit more casual wouldn’t hurt.

8. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Let the guy get into a rhythm....

poindexter, Gutter and Tighthead like this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why they are using guest hosts to "take the beating" for not being Alex Trebek before a regular host is named.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Exactly what I told my friends who immediately said he sucked last night. Imagine the level of difficulty of giving that tribute then hosting the damn show. He seems to have a touch of a lisp, which throws some people off, too. I think he'll be fine. Don't know if he'll be the ultimate host, but I'm not judging him off one show.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought Jennings' presence was fine. The voice wasn't Mr. Announcer voice.
    It was his first frigging day, and he was replacing the All Timer.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I liked Trebek and he obviously was an institution, but the game is the star. The only time I ever tuned in just to see Alex Trebek was last Friday. I thought the show last night was fine. Jennings was probably terrified and he still came off OK. He's a brainy nerd, not a game show host. The game, and the show, were fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted