1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College football bowls/playoff thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

How could you possibly forget? The College Football Championship Game is the pinnacle of sports! The world's eyes will all be glued to their television to watch the Almighty Tahd win their umpteenth mythical National Championship!

Oh, that's right. Y'all don't live here. NM.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's nothing else on, so I'll tune in for a minute or two.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't have four hours to spare.

BurnsWhenIPee and Neutral Corner like this.
  4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I believe in terms of fan interest there are "national sports" and "regional sports". What I mean by that is there are some sports where fans have more interest in the league but not so much in the local team. I think the NBA is an example of a sport where fans are very interested in LeBron and superstars and not as interested in their local team. Baseball is an example of a sport where fans are very interested in their local team but not really interested in the pennant race if their team is not involved.

That is why the NBA finals have ratings that equal the World Series but MLB ratings for local broadcasts generally crush the ratings of the local NBA boadcast. Normally local NBA ratings for an NBA team exceed those of the MLB team only if the NBA tram is really good and the MLB team is pretty bad.

I think college football is becoming a "regional sport". In the SEC and much of the Big Ten college football is a big deal (NYC and Chicago excepted). But along the Atlantic Coast from Washington D.C. north and the the much of the western United States interest is declining.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I really think the lack of fans has made a difference. Empty seats are visible declarations that the world is not normal. The CFP title game is basically on time. But the irregular schedules of the several conferences killed the season’s rhythm.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It just means less.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Who do I like? Neither, but I have a feeling about the Buckeyes

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

A urologist can fix that right up.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Mine is a graduate of Michigan State

maumann likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Does ESPN's "ownership" of college football almost make it seem close to the X Games? Do other media entities have much incentive to promote the sport?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Looks like a collarbone for Sermon.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It certainly hasn't helped in the western U.S. that the Pac-12 has not produced a genuine contender in a while, and the mismanagement of that conference itself has killed off some interest as well.
    Hell, even Boise State's status as lovable underdogs has lost some of its luster.
    In the northeast, the passion for college football was never really there to begin with. People love the NFL, but no one gives a shit about college football.
    I hate to be one of those people that say "College football is so much better when Team X is great," but on a national level the sport could really use a rejuvenation of a traditional powerhouse Pac-12 program like USC or Oregon.

I Should Coco, ChrisLong and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted