1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running racism in America thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, May 26, 2020.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's crap like the grape soda thing that hurts trying to make real change. It's crying wolf and will make 99.9% of people tune out when something actual needs to be addressed.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

He intentionally named the horse Grape Soda to piss off a Black guy he didn't like. His entire intent was to be an offensive racist asshole.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When I was growing up, the only guys we ever saw drinking grape soda were black. We maybe commented about about it like it was a stereotype, but I don't think any of us at least, thought it was meant to be racist, more just observational. It was similar to the fruity Goya sodas -- like Pineapple Soda or Coconut Soda -- you might see buried on a corner store shelf. The only people you ever saw drinking those were hispanic. You might have commented on it (and we commented on just about everything), but now I guess it's different. It's amazing how observations like those take the leap to actually becoming attempts at racism.

Batman and OscarMadison like this.
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

That's true, but without reading the story or knowing the details, how many people are going to see the name Grape Soda and think "that's racist?" None.
    It's not like the horse's published name was "Grape Soda to Piss of a Black Guy."

Batman and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

If something is only sold in the south, it sometimes gets a connection with being for minorities.

So I give you... Mr. Pibb.

And white trash drinks Mountain Dew.

And I’m not going to touch strawberry sodas.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Dude, M.R. Pibb is the best. We discovered that stuff in college and loved it.

HC and OscarMadison like this.
  7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I read the story before I asked and reread it to see if I missed something. That was why I looked askance at the use of "Grape Soda" as an ethnic slur.

BYM is right about Mr. Pibb. Dr. Zevia is a pitiful shadow of it and Dr. Pepper.

Mountain Dew was originally branded as a drink for White Southerners who may or may not have been hillbillies. I used to keep a can or two cold because it was good for clearing out gak after a walk or run and was used the same way when people had to go out in the field when pollen and/or humidity were high. It fell under the same utilitarian category as Gatorade for some of us.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It's so cute when stupid people find each other.

TigerVols likes this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

*Dr Pepper

matt_garth, Batman and FileNotFound like this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't Mt. Dew originally called Kickapoo Joy Juice or something like that? I remember seeing that in drink in gas stations in rural Kentucky and Georgia in the late 1960s and it was identical to the Dew.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mr. Pimp sucks. Just sayin.

Draft saved Draft deleted