1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will COVID-19 be the needle that finally bursts the sports bubble?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've got to imagine that, for the amateur play by play and camera types who do those kinds of streams, hockey has to be one of the toughest sports to work. Lots of action, the puck is constantly in motion and changing possession, unannounced substitutions, there are microscopic plays (like deflections) that lead to goals ... it's got to be a nightmare.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The toughest. Bob Costas has a story about his first hockey game. Short version: The same guy scored every goal.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right. It was a kid, too, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

The coach texted me a photo of the scoresheet and I found some rosters so it wasn't a complete waste.

OscarMadison and Batman like this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Arizona state association called off all winter winter sports: Both basketballs, both soccers and wrestling.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado mandating players, coaches and officials wear masks at all times for high school basketball when it starts in two weeks.

Masks don't have to be worn for wrestling and hockey.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The only sport on hold in Texas right now is wrestling. They’re allowed to practice, but no meets.

7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The only other ones I've tried that are as hard or harder are water polo and lacrosse. Even soccer keeps the same 10 players on the playing field, in relatively stable positions. I am impressed as hell by those who make hockey PBP seem seamless. It's one sport that immediately separates the good from the great.

8. HanSenSE

I would think what makes hockey most difficult is the constant action. No breaks, save for a stoppage in play, or media timeouts.

9. MileHigh

Doc Emrick did water polo at the Olympics -- and as you would expect, was brilliant at it.

10. HanSenSE

I watched most of Team USA's women's games since there was a player from my previous stop on the team. Doc was so good at calling man-up situations, I kept expecting horns to go off when someone scored like I was at an NHL game.

OscarMadison and MileHigh like this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Water polo has got to be an absolute disaster for PBP rookies. All of the action of hockey, without even the jersey numbers to pick up on, plus tons of splashing water that obscures the action. And it's a niche sport, so most people probably have no clue about the rules.

PaperDoll and maumann like this.
  12. MileHigh

Agreed. I grew up in SoCal and a couple of my good friends are water polo coaches. So I get it, get the strategies, rules, etc.

On the other hand, I have no freakin' clue about lacrosse.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted