1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2021 Golf Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Local PGA chapters have big role in tournament planning administration, recruitment of volunteers, etc.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think the publicly-owned courses like Bethpage and Harding would be the most difficult to line up on short notice.

Privates would be easier provided they aren’t working on upgrades in advance of hosting.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Baltusrol has it in 2029. Bethpage has the 2025 Ryder Cup.

I love the idea of a Harding Park do-over, though they will be at Olympic in 2028, but so what. The PGA ignored the West Coast for two decades.

4. Tighthead

Alan is likely as plugged in as anyone.

I don’t get the delay.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Has Shoal Creek solved its blatantly racist issues? They should be lumped in with the Tangerine Tantrum's courses and clubs until they do and can prove so.

6. MileHigh

Hosted a Women's U.S. Open in 2018.

Tighthead likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, all good ... but has the club solved its racial issue?

(Not trying to either troll or antagonize ... just because they hosted doesn't mean the problem is solved. See also: Augusta National long after they were called out for being blatantly discriminatory.)

8. MileHigh

Honestly, don't know. But if the USGA went there as recently as 2 1/2 years ago, I'd assume -- I know, a big thing these days -- that things have been resolved.

9. Tighthead

I don’t think the USGA would go there if they hadn’t, and I don’t think Shipnuck would mention them as a contender if it was still an issue.

Augusta is in its own universe.

MileHigh likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I totally get the delay. Golf's governing bodies are still largely old, white and Republican, and they will always make sure all their bases are covered and constituents are pacified before doing the right thing. Like Hootie said, they'll never do anything at the point of a bayonet.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Trump also has 10 days to spitefully stir up an IRS audit of the PGA of America if they do it before. Of course, Trump is so stupid he would audit the Tour.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted