1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card weekend (and Black Monday) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The Browns might go full Chubb (pun intended) and ditch the RB rotation. If they do and Chubb keeps ripping off 6-7 ypc, they have a shot, even without Stefanski.

3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You don't understand hyperbole much, do you? It's like being in the "Exact words" episode of The Brady Bunch.

Yes, I know it's not a bye. And yeah, all four starting DBs are out because of football injuries. Vernon is out with a football injury. So discounting the few guys who are Covid-related, the Browns defense is depleted at best.

And yeah, that day holds no fond memories. My grandmother died that day. Obviously, you didn't know that. I was also fresh off covering the Browns for a decade, including dealing with Belichick, the move, the return, etc. I didn't much give a shit about that game.

Congrats to your daughter, though! I hope she did not get accepted to where I teach. I mean, I hope she didn't even apply there and that wasn't her (or anybody's!) top choice.

JC likes this.
  4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Pandemic spreading. Drag racing in the streets.

Fun times in Berea, Ohio.

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I think the Big Ben stuff is a bit off. The Steelers did a great job this year of designing an offense full of quick throws, keeping Roethlisberger from taking many shots. The guy is a statue these days. It got them 11 wins before teams started putting the entire defense at the LOS. A couple weeks ago, against the Colts, his arm looked just fine. I expect them to go downfield early and often against the Browns' weak-as-shit secondary. Hell, Rudolph did it.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Complete with obligatory burnt blunt in one of the cars.

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

They kept Chubb off the field Sunday. It was a gamble that they got away with. I would expect him to approach 25 touches this week, if not more. He's far better than Hunt, who is decent, but nowhere near as effective as when he's running for a top-flight passing offense. Chubb is in Henry's league. Hunt is a very good backup.

Hermes likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

that’s my point. There’s just not that much difference between Big Ben and Rudolph. There is a difference but it’s not so big that the Browns will shit in their hands over it.

the Browns can’t handle Lamar Jackson. Not many teams can, but his ability to escape and make good coverages bad...browns can’t handle
    That.

Hermes likes this.
  9. outofplace

I understood your use of hyperbole. I also understand that you are doing exactly the same crap you accuse me of doing.

Also, all four starting defensive backs are not out with football injuries. Ward is either playing or sitting out due to COVID.

10. outofplace

Rudolph has always thrown a nice deep ball. He has more trouble with short and intermediate throws. He also doesn't read defenses particularly well and he doesn't have much of a feel for the pocket.

Roethlisberger's arm isn't the problem. It is his knee. Either he finally took something for the pain at halftime of the game against the Colts or he finally got over some mental block about it, because he started stepping into his throws again. He hadn't done that in weeks.

11. outofplace

If that's true, it was a really stupid gamble. If the officials see the blow to Rudolph's head on the interception, the Browns could very well be home for the playoffs again.

I agree that Chubb is better than Hunt and it isn't even close. That is the main reason I think the Browns still have a great chance to win Sunday. Even with Heyward and Watt back, the Steelers still don't have a very good run defense. Their lack of quickness at inside linebacker is something Chubb can exploit a lot better than Hunt.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

All gambles are stupid. And if officials would’ve seen the three penalties committed on Peoples-Jones on the same play late in the first half, the game may not of been close at all. Interesting how you cherry pick those.

JC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted