1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JRoyal, Jan 5, 2021.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Because someone had to start it.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So, continuing from the other thread, one idea for McIntyre at Wrestlemania -- Bobby Lashley. If the Hurt Business is going to be a major faction, Lashley needs to be a contender for the world title. They shouldn't be content with just holding the U.S. belt. Elevate him to compete with McIntyre after they get done with the Goldberg crap.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How does Goldberg continue to be a thing? It was fine seeing him come back the first time, and he'd even be OK as a special attraction match like Undertaker, HBK and *Triple H were in their later years. But why do they insist on putting him in the championship picture every time he shows up? Especially when he can't go more than five minutes in the ring?

*-Yeah, I know Triple H squeezed out one more title run in the Royal Rumble. But other than that he's been in the "special attraction" category for his Wrestlemania and one-off matches the past 10 years, which is where he should be.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'll be interested in how AEW handles the storyline of Huber's death. They did a great tribute to the man, but how do they move on with his character?

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

For the same reason The Eagles sell a lot of records. He's an Established Name Star, so you probably get a good baseline of interest whenever he pops up. There's also probably an equally firm ceiling, though, and obviously, you can't build up your newer stars if Goldberg is sucking up the oxygen at the top of the card. It's kind of a "full circle" moment for him, since he originally burst on to the scene as the hot new superpowered guy that could finally dismantle the starting-to-get-stale NWO.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

this is a very good idea.

i dont get goldberg. He pops ratings, I guess, and he got monster reactions in arenas when he killed Kevin Owens in 2017. But that was four freakin years ago. Its over. We cant still be doing this, can we?

not for nothing, beating Goldberg did zip for Braun Strowman, so IF they let Goldberg beat Drew, odds are it hurts Drew more than it helps whoever gets the subsequent rub (just like it hurt Fiend more than it ever helped Braun).

JRoyal likes this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think that at this point, Dark Order would need to be babyfaces, at least for a while. They wouldn't be able to pull off being heels right now.

If they brought Rowan, er, Redbeard, in as the leader, it would be appropriate, or elevate Hangman Page to the leadership position.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They could do it as Goldberg beating Drew, then Drew winning the Rumble and challenging Roman. And then Fiend comes back, dismantles Orton, and goes after Goldberg as revenge for losing the title in Saudi.

But otherwise, yeah, Goldberg clogging up the title picture isn't exactly ideal, unless he's putting over Drew.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The only way they can have McIntyre lose to Goldberg without screwing him up is if there's some kind of interference. Maybe he ends up talking smack to Reigns and Jey interferes, giving Goldberg the belt and setting up even more of a reason for McIntyre to go after Reigns. If it ends up being a clean loss (if they go that route), it shit all over everyone who has helped build McIntyre up over the last year. Not that WWE hasn't shown a willingness to do that before.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

i could see some kind of cash in that leads to McIntyre winning the Rumble and going at Reigns. It felt possible at the last PPV. I really have no idea how Oldberg factors into all of it

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Tony Khan bought the rights to the song, like he did the song in the Brodie tribute video.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

I know Foley is no longer active, but this might be the strongest condemnation of Trump from inside the WWE circle. Of course, Vince won't do a goddamn thing, but still telling.

Gutter, Baron Scicluna and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted