1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Before this broke, Mike Krzyzewski was going to miss the game because of COVID issues.

So ...
    Duke and N.C. State have had to pause because of the pandemic. Now Florida State.
    Jeff Capel in Pittsburgh has tested positive, which has triggered postponements for the Panthers.
    Coach K is in protocol because of being around someone who tested positive.

Also ... Duke's women opted out of the season altogether.

I'm thinking there's a problem here.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Virginia, Wake Forest and University-6 have gone ≥ 18 days between games, and Duke (12/16) and Syracuse (12/19) may soon join them.
    Meanwhile, Big Ten teams appear to be playing three times a week without interruption.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Someone on the ACC Network was carrying John Swofford's water trying to claim how effective testing was amid the pandemic.

I quickly checked my channel listing to make sure The Onion hadn't created a network.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Men's and women's teams from Stanford and Santa Clara doing an end run around covid regulations in Santa Clara County (the same one turning the 49ers, Sharks and San Jose State into nomads) by scheduling home games through January at Kaiser Permanente Arena in Santa Cruz, where the G-League Santa Cruz Warriors play.

So, no local prep events since March. Sea Dubs seem headed to a G-League bubble in Orlando. No juco or other college sports (i.e. the Fighting Banana Slugs of UCSC). Not holding my breath on Mavericks either. But we've got Pac 12 and WCC hoops ... but nobody can go watch.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tulsa won at Cincinnati for the first time since 1967.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Calipari was thinking of trading Sam Cassell, before UK's 2OT win last night,

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Per the WWL: March Madness to take place in Indy-centered bubble.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The tournament will be hosted by Ball State, Butler, the Horizon League, Indiana, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and Purdue, which are lending their facilities and staffs to assist with tournament operations. The Indiana Convention Center will be used as a practice facility, with multiple courts set up inside the venue. Marriott properties, an official NCAA corporate partner, will house most of the tournament teams. The properties are connected to the convention center via skywalks and within a controlled environment. All teams will be housed on dedicated hotel floors, with physically distanced meeting and dining rooms, as well as secure transportation to and from competition venues.

Games will be played on two courts inside Lucas Oil Stadium, as well as Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Indiana Farmers Coliseum, Mackey Arena in West Lafayette and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington. Only one game at a time will be played at Lucas Oil Stadium.​

NCAA Announces Further Details for 2021 Division I Men’s Basketball Championship

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

So basically, they're turning March Madness into a giant high school Christmas tournament. Could be cool ... or could be a disaster if COVID gets into the bubble. We'll see.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Baylor women's basketball has halted team activities and the Lady Bears' game against UConn in Waco on Thursday has been canceled. Coach Kim Mulkey has tested positive for Covid.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Oregon State-Utah on Wednesday and Oregon State-Colorado on Saturday postponed.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

By my count, at least one ACC team has been in time out for 36 of the past 37 days. High-water mark is four teams. I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted