1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card weekend (and Black Monday) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hussey was the ref for the Minnesota-Detroit game last weekend and personally threw the flag on that atrocious roughing the passer call on Cousins. There was also a Lions touchdown catch overturned by replay. Guess the NFL didn't mind that.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, I can't speak for the campus police force, but it is the 14th largest city in the country. :)

Michael_ Gee and Hermes like this.
  3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I don't know how NFL assignments work, but is it like MLB where if you work one round you can't work the next? And they just threw him out there because of the extra games that if he was going to work a game, do it now so it doesn't affect conference title game?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

According to Football Zebras historically the officials working the conference championships will work two of the six wild card games. The Super Bowl officials will work in the next round of games. The NFL has 17 officiating teams and they will use 10 separate teams in the playoffs (teams are created from the highest rated officials).

There is a waiting period so that rookie officials can not work the playoffs until either their second or third year. And officials on probation for poor performance are not eligible. So basically if you have met the waiting period and have stayed off probation you have a pretty good shot of working a playoff game.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    MileHigh likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

When I lived there I called it Football Jonestown. A pretty large city with the mentality of a high school. It sucks so bad.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Columbus is growing exponentially but still seems like a small town to me, a cow town even. It's always going to be known for OSU, hence the college town label. It's great, though, for young people, of which I am no longer one.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am as you all know anything but young, but one of my good friends from college lives in Columbus and he likes it just fine.

8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Browns have two more positive tests among players, along with head coach Stefanski and two additional assistant coaches.

Update: The two players are Bitonio (G) and Hodge (WR). Best OL and a back-up WR.

Can't wait to see how Oop spins this into somehow being a disadvantage for the Steelers.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    JC likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

First time in 13 years the Patriots aren't in the playoffs. Amazing run.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least according to The Onlines, it's actually 11 seasons (2009-2019). They won the division title each year. Even more amazingly, it should probably be longer, because 2008 was the Cassell year when they still won 11 games but missed the playoffs. If they had made it that year, it would have been a 17-year streak. The Chiefs are sitting at 6 right now though, and thanks to some "banked" years from the Alex Smith years, they could give the 11-year run a go.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Chris Kluwe right now:

[​IMG]

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I really don’t have anything against it. The traffic there blows at Chicago levels.

Draft saved Draft deleted