1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card weekend (and Black Monday) thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The two best Chargers teams with Rivers were 2006 and 2007. They played the Patriots in the playoffs both times. The 2006 divisional playoff game was the infamous Troy Brown play. Then in 2007 they went up against the 18-0 Patriots in the AFC championship game and he earned legend status by keeping the Chargers in the game while playing with a torn ACL and a sulking LaDainian Tomlinson.
    After that, it was an amazingly long run of mediocrity. Seven times in 10 years the Chargers finished either 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 and never got past the divisional round. Even the one great year they had, in 2018, they wound up as a 12-4 wild card and had to go play New England in the second round. Between him and Dan Fouts, it's like the Chargers are cursed to have franchise quarterbacks who will spend 15 years never getting to a Super Bowl.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Welcome Justin Herbert!

Batman likes this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I just don't see Urban Meyer in the league.
    1. He won't be able to recruit 25 4-5 stars each year, just draft seven guys who theoretically are equal to anyone else's seven guys.
    2. He won't have eight lock victories every year. Consider this: the 1-15 Jaguars had the ball with 5:50 left yesterday with a chance to take the lead over a playoff-bound team.
    3. He won't be able to impose his own media restrictions such as no freshmen, no assistant coaches, no locker-room access (when things get back to normal, presumably), quarterbacks have to talk, etc., or just making up the rules for access as he goes along anyway.
    4. Even if someone makes him coach and GM, he will never be the ultimate boss. He will still have an owner.
    5. He won't be able to cover up every DUI and bar fight his guys get into. The NFL media is not as compliant and there won't be a small-town campus police force likes Gainesville or Columbus to help him cover up.
    6. The NFL injury reporting system will drive him crazy. He got the nickname "Urban Liar" initially, from Mike Freeman, because of lying about injuries.
    Can he change that much about himself and adapt to the NFL?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And I expect him to yell at his receivers or linemen anybody else he can find in order to deflect blame.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, but - He could probably negotiate some huge contract, for a first year coach. Rhule got seven years, $60M, so I imagine Meyer has leverage to get more. And if he fails, it isn't going to effect his ability to land a high-tier college job, if he wants to go back.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's desperate for money.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I've heard it is a good motivator though, when it comes to explaining human decisions. To me, him taking a pro job is even lower risk than taking another college job. The college job, he better make sure it's one he can actually win a championship at, because otherwise it kills his "mystique." If he fails in the pros, nobody will give a crap.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Meyer would work for a team that needed some credibility and didn't have a lot of buzz - Jacksonville will have Trevor Lawrence - they really don't need Urban Meyer to sell tickets. Hell, making an offer to Dabo makes more sense. Or Joe Brady.

Meyer would make more sense with a team like Detroit or Atlanta - but considering his past college stops, I don't think that will happen. Also, Meyer's recent history of suddenly ending his tenures isn't really something that would get me to roll out a big contract. He could pull a Petrino after one bad season.

Anyone ever read a deep dive on how these termination meetings go? Like they've done for when players are getting cut? Do they happen in the owner's office? The GMs office? The coaches' offices? A phone call? A message to the coach's attorney? Whether they are surprises or not it would be interesting to read about some of the details on how these go down.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Jacksonville seems like one of the few places Urban’s act would fly. It’s a small-enough town where you can control a lot of the variables, if not all of them. Perhaps Green Bay and Buffalo too.

I have a good feeling about WFT. I never bet and I’m putting some bread on them to cover.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bill Bidwill just changed the locks on the office doors.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I gotta say I agree with Hondo here. Meyer's never worked in a situation where he doesn't have total control. A pro coach, even Belichick, has ever so much less than that. Saban is both a better coach and a more level-headed man as big-time coaches go and he left the Dolphins because he realized the pros weren't for him. Were I an owner, I wouldn't take Meyer if only because of the health issue. Gonna take more than one season to get Jacksonville together. I want a younger go-getter, not a big name who hasn't coached a game in several years.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted