1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2021 NHL regular season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I assume all RSN people are happy they never had to go up against a monkey with their predictions.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Chara to the Caps. My favorite team now has a dude my age!

Liut, RickStain and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Good one-year deal. Like Chris Chelios, Chara is a gym rat and keeps in tremendous shape. And, there are no bad one-year deals.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

This was such a weird thing to see on Twitter today. I'm off all week so less engaged online than usual, so the Chara thing was a smack to the face. I don't hate it. Fehervery is Slovak and looks up to Zdeno as an idol. Hell of a mentor to have in the room.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When signings started, the Rangers signed Jack Johnson, who sucks, to $1.15 million. Pittsburgh had waived him, but Jacques Martin the Rangers new asst. coach coached him there, and supposedly they added him for his penalty killing. He's 33, so doesn't fit with the youth movement. The Rangers are good on the right side of their defense with Trouba, Adam Fox and Tony DeAngelo. They are suspect on the left, unless they play one of their prospects and he shows something (K'Andre Miller please!), so Johnson will get some minutes probably.

Now I see that someone got Zdeno Chara for $785K. He is definitely a shadow of the player he was. ... but the guy still kills penalties. ... better than Jack Friggin Johnson can, which was the rationale for signing him. I don't want either of them on this team, but man they screwed the pooch on that signing when you see someone getting Chara for the league minimum.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Ok, but free agency isn’t a draft. The guy you want has to also want to sign with you. If a guy that rich is playing for that little, he’s probably only interested in winning a Cup. Maybe Chara didn’t think the Rangers have a shot.

7. The Big Ragu

My guess is that it was never broached. The Rangers signed Johnson on the first day of free agency, for some reason. At that point, I am guessing that Boston still was investigating options and hadn't yet decided for sure on moving on from Chara. He wanted to resign with Boston, and the process went pretty late into the offseason before they told him they were moving on.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Liut, Spartan Squad and MTM like this.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I thought about it, I really did.

11. The Big Ragu

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member