1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words That Sportswriters Use That Make Me Cringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Probably the most misused word in common usage.

Liut likes this.
  2. Dog8Cats

... and fixtures. Can't forget them.

3. Dog8Cats

"four-down territory"

Most of the time, the decision to run an offensive play on fourth down is based more on the time remaining in the game or half than where the ball is. For a phrase to describe an offense willing or needing to risk failing on a fourth-down play, "four-down mindset" or "four-down approach" would be better.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I was asked to use consecutive over straight. It happened to be a gay colleague I respected very much, so I haven't really used it since.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

At the University of Central Arkansas, the men's teams are the Bears. The women's teams are the Sugar Bears.

Batman likes this.
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

No official Lady nicknames exist locally. It's just one of those random things coaches, athletic directors, and fans occasionally pull out of nowhere.

Oddly, I despise that slightly less than schools that create creatures that don't exist by using Lady.

There is no such thing as a "lady ram." A ram is a male sheep. There is no such things a "lady colt." A colt is an unneutered male horse. Lady Knights? Um... yeah, OK. :confused:

As for gender-neutral positions, we've shifted to "defender" rather than "defenseman," but I can't say anyone has brought up "second baseman" as sexist.

7. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Kittens are male and female for crap's sake

8. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

That's why humans devised subheds to label things as girls basketball or boys basketball.

SFIND likes this.
  9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

First-ever (apologies if this is not the first mention of this).

Control their own destiny (“their own” is enough of an abomination). You can’t control your destiny. It’s what happens.

And my all-time pet peeve ...

“made history.”

Literally everything that happens makes history.

Dog8Cats and I Should Coco like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You ever try squeezing that many characters into a one-column headline?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Feel much the same about Lady (canine nickname).

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I can't recall the specifics but I remember seeing Lady Dogs on a jersey once and I wanted to find the AD and say, "Do you realize ...?"

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted