1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That's so great. I assumed he had taken his last coherent breath. I am so glad to have been wrong.

Neutral Corner, maumann and Mngwa like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They've never announced what exactly happened. I don't know how college sports teams decides what medical stuff to make public and what they keep under wraps.

maumann likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

COVID-related questions will now emerge and they’ll decide what they want to do with that

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well, there's only one team I would root for against Gonzaga ... and that team missed too many free throws and was too badly out-rebounded to have a chance at knocking off the Zags.

Iowa has a dominant big man in Garza and a pretty good wingman in Wieskamp (Muscatine High School!!!!), but the Hawkeyes need one of the guards to step up as a consistent scoring threat if they want to be a nationally-ranked team. Bohannon's had a rough season so far.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

As a fellow Iowa guy, I'd also like to see them play a LITTLE bit of defense once in a while.

No way they win big until that changes.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

With a blue-chipper like Suggs directing their offense, Gonzaga is going to threaten the century mark against everyone they play. Not many teams can score with them.

But your point about Iowa's defense stands. Even when the Hawkeyes switched to zone, GU would penetrate and dish for easy looks, or Iowa would give up multiple offensive rebounds. The Hawks were blown out early and spent the rest of the game trying to catch up.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thing is, that first half was as well-played a half of college hoops as I've seen in a long time.

Iowa can fill it up. They gave Chapel Hill a clinic on that with four perimeter shooters and Garza usually in the paint. Offense is NOT a problem for the Hawkeyes. Will look forward to how teams like Michigan State and Illinois try to solve that.

OTOH, good luck against Gonzaga. Loaded.

I Should Coco and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

After being off, what, three weeks, Gonzaga didn't miss a beat. That's a damn good team.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

In the creative scheduling department, UMKC yesterday played the same non-Division I team twice, once in the afternoon and once at night. Rolled them both times, as expected.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Day-night doubleheader! Who got the "walk off" basket?

11. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

My friends, this has been a difficult stretch, and of the type I am not used to. I fear the Coach Cal recruiting magic has run its course.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The Johnson story is the biggest one in sports, but whatever

Draft saved Draft deleted