1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Words That Sportswriters Use That Make Me Cringe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Dec 18, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I spend too much time on here trying to figure out all the codes y'all use. HC, OC, DC. Heck, elsewhere, Ducks general manager Bob Murray is now GMBM.
    Everything has a nickname or a code. Might have come from Hollywood with JLo, Biebs, etc. But yeah, ESPN is the culprit and I told writers frequently that just because you heard it on ESPN doesn't mean it should show up in your story. Walkoff is egregious. "They didn't walk off, they ran off, or jogged off." We had a rule against using it, but it eventually became an accepted standard.
    Sometimes I simply can't remember what the codes mean: LYMI, YGTBFKM. Doesn't help you read stuff, just slows you down.
    Rant over, carry on.

Bud_Bundy likes this.
  2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I used to cleanse with fire "capped off" at least twice a week.

Justin Biebler likes this.
  3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

"Tilt" as a synonym for "game," as in "Alabama, Florida to meet in SEC title tilt."

And how about "buzzer-beater?" At one of my career stops, an incompetent stringer got it wrong in his lead and called it a "buzzard-beater."

Michael_ Gee and HanSenSE like this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If the position is in doubt, one can always use the player's height and/or classification. Not exactly the most difficult workaround ...

Big mistake.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You misspelled "walk-off." No one used it until the WWL force-fed it into the lexicon.

"Game-winning" or "game-ending" work where applicable. Then walk away - not off - from the file to allow for an edit.

Liut and maumann like this.
  6. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Back in the day with both an AM and PM paper, we went through a phase where one copy editor would come in at o'dark thirty and by himself basically convert the AM sports section into the PM - rework the layout, change headline font, add in late baseball boxes, etc. So this one particular copy editor, not known for, well, his sports smarts, once converted a headline with West Virginia's Mountaineers into - drum roll please, the Mountain Ears.

Bronco77, maumann and PaperDoll like this.
  7. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I had one who wrote "Joe Smith made a basket with 30 seconds left and for all intensive purposes that was the game."

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Great headline word. Along with "lift".

Four letters, 2.5 counts. You just don't see that kind of value in many words.

wicked likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

“hoot”

SFIND, HanSenSE, Pilot and 1 other person like this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

"That" is a very good point.

SFIND, HanSenSE and Vombatus like this.
  11. maumann

Or even the winning hit, sacrifice fly, walk, passed ball or balk. One can assume the "game" part, thanks to ESPN.

12. maumann

I dare anyone who covers golf or tennis to write about the "walk-off" putt or service ace. That would be a hoot.

HanSenSE and Vombatus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted