1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

At one time McLain was playing the organ at a west side Detroit steak place called Lafferty’s, where the bouncer was a guy named Leon Spinks

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Same postseason that Jack Buck caught all kinds of shit in Pittsburgh after Bobby Vinton fucked up the National Anthem before the NLCS and Buck said, “well, when you’re polish and from Pittsburgh you can sing it however you like.”

With no live baseball for months, AT&T sports net was showing classic Pirate games and showed one from the 1990 NLCS with player interviews spliced in. Apparently Schott sold the seats reserved for visiting players families behind the plate and instead put the wives in folding chairs down the left field line.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Of course she did.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to keep ripping on Marge, but what the hell: Topped only six years later when she got angry when the Reds' traditional home opener was halted after plate ump John McSherry died of a heart attack during the game, then tried to make nice by sending flowers to the umpires' room the next day. The same flowers that had been given to her by the Reds' TV station for Opening Day.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The two stories I recall seeing is that she sold donuts to the staff that were left over from an earlier meeting and she gifted them one holiday with candy bars that were found in a warehouse and were past their sell by date.

8. HanSenSE

Just updated my post after looking up McSherry on Wikipedia. She regifted to the umpiers flowers WLWT had given her on Opening Day.

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

ChrisLong and HanSenSE like this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was at this Series, and is God is my witness, I heard Marge express good wishes to "our troops in the Middle West."

11. HanSenSE

I'm not God, and was just watching on TV at home, but I concur.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, Life is baseball and always will be even when the NFL is screwing the Steelers time and again.

2, The writers of this show really fucking love Billy Crudup.

Draft saved Draft deleted