1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All-purpose open-wheel (F1, IRL) racing thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by crimsonace, Feb 19, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Seems reasonable. I don't see how Formula E could possibly be worth the investment.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Nice drive by Russell today to make the front row. Leclerc, too, for P4.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

*We've replaced the Mercedes pit crew with a clown car from Barnum & Bailey's Circus. Let's see if anyone notices!*

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. PCLoadLetter

As bad as I feel for Russell, I couldn't be happier for Sergio Perez. That was awesome.

Good lord did Mercedes fuck that up.

Albon and Bottas have to be feeling a lot of heat right now.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Watched Bahrain II back before bed. Sergio Perez, long derided for being in an F1 car mostly due to his financial support, backs up his abilities with his first race win right before he loses his job because his team would rather have a famous name whose results and attitude this season don't justify him driving the safety car and or deprive the even better-funded son of the team's billionaire owner. That was the F1-iest F1 race ever.

maumann likes this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

I think he's in the second Red Bull next year. There's no way to justify picking Albon over him after yesterday. Red Bull really hurts itself by shackling the team to the junior driver program.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

That seems like the right decision but I have my doubts. Why have a pipeline like Red Bull does if you're going to ignore it and give a seat to someone who has no association with the organization because the market spat him out?

9. PCLoadLetter

The short answer is, because the pipeline keeps spitting out mediocre drivers.

Albon's killing them. I know they'd love to keep him but he's making that impossible for them.

I think they're putting way too much effort into that pipeline. It's great for the young drivers but ultimately it's handcuffing their teams to sometimes inferior drivers.

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This man has forgotten more trivial facts about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway than I'll ever remember. Absolute fanboi when I finally got to meet him in person.

Enjoy retirement, DD.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I noticed Horner didn't come by for his usual debrief with the Sky crew - that guy seems destined for TV when his days in F1 are done - probably because he didn't want to talk about Max's dismal day - not that it was his fault - or whether Perez should replace Albon which the Sky crew was advocating for as the checkered flag flew yesterday.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The highlight of my time as a PR hack at IMS was working closely with Donald. I started an "Ask Donald" feature on our blog where readers would send in questions via social and he'd answer them, similar to the "Talk of Gasoline Alley" show he'd do every evening during May. (If you never heard it, some guy from Kokomo could call in and ask Donald about a driver from 1930 from his hometown who ran once and finished 30th, and for the next five minutes Donald would give the driver's life story off the top of his head.) At first I tried to read him the questions, transcribe his answers and clean them up, and I'll never forget Donald's response to the first piece -- "this just doesn't sound like me." I realized that was foolish on my part -- people loved Donald not just for the unreal depth of knowledge but the quirks of his language and his enthusiasm for so many things around Indy. From then on, I just sent him the questions and a deadline and published what he gave me, with very minimal editing. After a while I knew which questions to leave out; he wouldn't opine about the best driver ever, best race, worst steward's call, etc., nor would he take a position about "The Split" or dish about the Hulman-George family. He's taking a lot of their secrets to the grave.

I handled some other media for him at times, I remember a tennis writer once asked about any connections to tennis from the Indy 500. Donald said something like "I don't know much about tennis, I just memorized some stats once." I didn't press but imagined him being able to recite every Grand Slam winner, just because.

TigerVols, wicked and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted