1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rocky Dennis -- The Baseball Reliquary

Ron Cey sings “Third Base Bag” and “One Game at a Time”. The souvenir record was available at Dodger Stadium concession stands. One critic wrote: “As a singer, Ron Cey is a fine third baseman.”

[​IMG]

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Denny McLain going off to play gigs as a organist during his heyday. I think one review said, "McLain should stick to pitching."

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, I decided to sit down and watch the 1990 World Series for no reason today and realized MLB and CBS gave MARGE SCHOTT AN OPEN MIC ON NATIONAL TELEVISION:

Also, I realized it's too bad Fox News wasn't really a thing back in her day.

6. Songbird

A's get to the World Series 3 years in row and win just once and worse, lose 8 of 9 to the Dodgers and Reds.

maumann likes this.
  7. Songbird

[​IMG]

The Hustler: Jim Gosger

Wow! I didn’t realize that. What was it like to hit against Satchel Paige, even at whatever age he was claiming to be that day?

That’s one thing not many people know about me. When I was with the Red Sox we were in Kansas City. They brought in Paige and he was going to pitch the first three innings, but we didn’t know anything about that. We looked down the right field bullpen and there was a guy sitting there in a rocking chair with a nurse next to him. We said, “Who’s that?” They told us that was Satchel Paige and he was gonna pitch three innings against us.

So, I was the leadoff hitter and the first person to face him. I popped up that at bat and we only got one hit off him. Carl Yastrzemski was the only one who got a hit. So, I came to bat with two outs in the third inning and grounded out. As I am running by Satchel Paige, he looks at me and says, “Good luck, young man.” I just thought to myself, “Wow! What a thrill.” I didn’t realize I was the last to bat against him until a couple of years later when I was in a book about it.

[​IMG]

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Makes up for beating the Reds, Dodgers and Mets in 1972-74, I guess.

9. Songbird

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Was it revenge by A.G. Dave Yost, Ned's brother?

Draft saved Draft deleted