1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by nietsroob17, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I didn't see it at first, but I've seen replays. He's lucky that his legs and back landed first before his head. He's maybe a split second from being paralyzed or dead.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That might be the second-stupidest thing I’ve seen Jeff Hardy do.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When talking about a guy who once stumbled out for a PPV main event stoned out of his mind, it might not even rank in the top 10.
    It'd be a fascinating list to compile, though.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yep, that’s No. 1 on the all-time Jeff Hardy dumb moments list.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Whoever thought, "Hey, let's set this up by the steel steps; nothing could go wrong there," should be fired. If it was Hardy and Elias, they need their asses chewed out. It never should have been there to begin with if they were going for that spot.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I can imagine Vince in their ears when it happened. "No one says shit about the mask coming off. She's still Reckoning. Anyone calls her Mia Yim and YOU'RE FIIIRRRREEED!!!!"

7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Damn RIP Pat Patterson, one of the truly great men in the history of the business

nietsroob17 likes this.
  8. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Dang. That's a crushing blow to the WWE family.

Definitely expect a 10-bell salute on NXT, SmackDown and Raw. Same with having the whole crew on stage, though they may shy away from that just because of social distancing.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A great tag-team performer with Ray "The Crippler" Stevens. Am I misremembering or did he not show Austin the Stone Cold Stunner for him to use as a finisher?

10. Baron Scicluna

I think it was Johnny Ace (Laurinitis) who first started the move in Japan (the Ace Crusher), although there are a couple of clips of Cowboy Bob Orton doing an early version of an RKO (seriously).

There was a vignette of Vince training for his first match with Austin and Patterson and Gerald Brisco showing him “counters” to the Stunner.

11. Baron Scicluna

As for Patterson’s career, no doubt he was one of the best in the ring, and while most of his career was before I started watching wrestling, I certainly enjoyed his on-air act in the late 90s as one of McMahon’s “stooges.” He and Gerald Brisco had a couple of matches with the Mean Street Posse that were surprisingly entertaining, and one of them garnered one of Raw’s highest-ever rated TV segments.

Behind the scenes, he was terrific in helping the wrestlers put together matches and finishes.

However, away from the ring is a little more complex. He was accused by a couple of people of sexual harassment (offering jobs or pushes in exchange for favors), and Superstar Graham, during the early 90s ringboy scandal, accused him of trying to molest young boys (Graham later recanted this and attempted to apologize).

But looking at all the tributes from past and present, it’s clear that he made a strong impact on their lives and made a permanent mark on the business. RIP.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

This has to be the capper to whatevyer highlight video they make.

Then there's this from NXT's baby years.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted