1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SNL's Continued Downward Spiral Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Norm borrowed the idea, with permission from Eugene Levy, from SCTV’s “Half Wits”.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Chappelle was great. If you haven’t yet seen them, check out his appearance on Letterman’s “My Next Guest” and his performance after George Floyd on Netflix. Both are powerful.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He gets around to being good. The kicker was strong two weeks ago. But the audience doesn't often know where he's going, so there's a lot of silence and anticipation of "OK...." And maybe that's where he wants it. His material is starting to grow in accumulative power, but it damn near seems suited for a radio monologue.

Chappelle also has a grasp of using the absurd to make a funny point - the baby dealing drugs, for example - but he's increasingly moving away from it, although buying the drug dealer ice cream was hilarious.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I loved Aidy on SNL. Shrill makes me get out my bowl of knitted rocks, fruit, and hand grenades to throw at the tv. I still haven't made the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

FileNotFound likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The number of the counting shall be three.

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

So at least in the Houston area last night, the Classic SNL on in the 9 p.m. hour was hosted by Phil Hartman... and they didn't edit his monologue, so it includes a shout-out to his wife Brynn. oof. They did edit out a couple sketches and one of the performances by Bush, so they must have overlooked that portion.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember watching that episode a few years ago when Comedy Central was airing SNL reruns. It really creeped me out when he gave that shoutout to his wife/eventual murderer.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Great to see Cicely back to play the drunk blonde.

Loved Pete's "Stan" parody and the cameo from Eminem himself.

garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

That "Stan" parody is going to be on the SNL Christmas "Best Of" show for the next decade. Probably my favorite sketch so far this year.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought Cecily Strong's character in the open was just a variation of her "drunk girl" act - nope. It was dead on.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Initially, a lot of people thought that would be a perfect role for Kate, but that probably couldn't have worked because of having to play Rudy, too. Probably all for the better because Cicely killed it.

Noticed Kenan and Chris Redd were MIA except for taped bits. Wonder if it was a quarantine issue be wise both are pretty key players.

Draft saved Draft deleted