1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take care of yourself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny_Dangerously, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Another week, another 60 miles walked for a total of 2,303 miles walked since 1/1/20.

It's really something to watch 21-year-olds react to songs they've never heard. It's not like Gnarls Barkley's Crazy is that old.

WTF are kids listening to today? There's a NYT story to be written about the radio/MTV/YouTube generations ...

HC likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

After having undergone surgery to remove a foreign mass (benign), my advice:

do your yearly physicals and bloodwork;
    listen to your physicians about follow ups;

Only from bloodwork calling into question my kidneys' function did they do a CT scan and then find the mass. Without that, the mass would have continued to grow. Turns out that was elevating my blood pressure. Good news is now blood pressure down to normal levels, no more medication, and diet can have salt again.

Use your health plans.

OscarMadison, Dog8Cats and Songbird like this.
  3. Songbird

Another week, another 58 miles walked for a total of 2,361 miles walked since 1/1/20.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

To me and you. They were 7 when it broke.

5. Neutral Corner

My favorite Jemal of late. His first time listening to Joni, and he couldn't have picked a better song. I have trouble believing some reactors, but this one strikes me as genuine. Didn't know if you had seen it.

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  6. Songbird

Another week, another 50 miles walked, for a total of 2,411 miles walked since 1/1/20. I'm losing my lust for the walking.

Could use a pound of cocaine, Rick James pure.

7. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I'm finding myself needing mental health days and the implementation of time for gentle exercise to get me back up to speed. Right now neuropathic pain is knocking me on my tuckus and I'm reaching critical mass with people who are starting to lean a little too hard on me as their counselor-critter.

I've been down these particular avenues before and said, "never again" the last time. Yet here I am with people who have multiple therapists calling me at 3 am because they couldn't sleep and just wanted to say hi. People who manage a hello -sometimes- and then launch into what's bugging them. People who essentially do an emotional dump and then sign off, sometimes without so much as a hi, bye, kiss my butt...

You know what they never do? They never ask me how I am or express any interest whatsoever in what's going on at my end.

I have a friend who is a licensed pastoral counselor. He said at some point, you have to leave work at work. "I know that if I don't do that, I start to disappear from the collar up." He's right. There are eleven, yes ELEVEN people messaging me on the regular, who have no idea what is going on with me right now. They. Never. Ask.

This might make me a terrible friend, but my self-care is to go on strike and hit the treadmill or the yoga mat when I'd normally be listening to these people.

Now I'm off to get my heart-rate back to normal. Thank you for letting me vent.

PaperDoll likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Start with turning your phone off between midnight and seven a.m., or whatever variant of that suits you. You of all people should know about setting limits in order to protect your own well being.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Songbird

How are you?

What's going on at your end?

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

You're right. I've already cleared it with my boss to be on call during the day from now to the first of the year.

Why do I do this? It never starts out as a full-on "be my woobie." Some relationships just go in that direction. Thing is, I don't mind helping people. I really don't. It's just...One person today actually told me he thought I was his girlfriend because he latched on and talked about himself.
    "You don't know a thing about me." I said.
    "Hunh. I know EVERYTHING about you!"
    "Where did I go to college?" I asked him. Come on, people who don't know my pen name or my real name on here know that.
    "Texas Tech."
    "Really?"
    "Ole Miss? Vanderbilt?"
    ::sigh::

Things at my end are getting better. Thanks for asking! How are things at your end?

11. Songbird

Another week, 42 miles walked for a total of 2,453 miles walked since 1/1/20.

This is one of the truest reactions. Metallica, by song and video, made her cry to One.

12. Songbird

Another week, 42 miles walked, 2,495 miles walked since 1/1/20.

HC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted