1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 12 thread -- As sweet as a Kolber kiss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But that advantage was unfair to begin with. Why would the league care about removing an unfair advantage and evening the playing field. There were lots of reasons to try to keep it on Thursday, but that is not one of them.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Dabo was commissioner this wouldn't happen

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All teams have to deal with it sooner or later. To have that advantage taken away is absolutely a good reason for the Steelers to complain.

Also, the Steelers' schedule has been adjusted twice to accommodate other teams dealing with outbreaks. Both times, the change ended up helping the Ravens in a game against the Steelers. The first time around was the moving of their game against the Titans, which was scheduled for Week 4. That helped the Titans, who would have been without injured wideout A.J. Brown. Brown ended up having a big game against the Steelers. More importantly, the Steelers and Ravens were supposed to play one another the week before both teams would have had a bye. Instead, the week before the game in Baltimore, the Steelers had to go to Tennessee while the Ravens were off. The Steelers had to play twice against division opponents coming off a bye when they played a game. The second one was against the Bengals.

This time around, the delay helps the Ravens again. The Steelers really didn't get a bye week, either, because they had most of their practices the week they were scheduled to play the Titans the first time around. So yes, they do have plenty of reason to complain.

The league had to move the game with more positive tests today, but they didn't have to move it all the way to Sunday. I assume they want at least one day with no positive tests, so why not tentatively move it to Friday first? Maybe they don't want to keep making changes. I still think it should be a forfeit if the Ravens can't play by Sunday, but I doubt the league will handle it that way.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I wanted to fall asleep on the couch during that Steelers/Ravens game as much as anyone. Now I just feel really, really, really bad for the Steelers losing their Corona edge.

Spartan Squad and heyabbott like this.
  5. outofplace

It wasn't COVID giving them an edge. It was just the way the schedule fell. Try to do a better job keeping up before you respond next time.

Also, the league policy is not to give teams time to get players through the COVID protocol to allow them to play. The policy is. "Fuck you. That's why you have a bigger practice squad." The league has made other teams play ridiculously short-handed, but they are bailing the Ravens out.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I mentioned this last night, but the fact that this was an NBC game on a holiday and the only good game happening on Thanksgiving (the 'traditional' two are Lions-Texans and Cowboys-Team) probably means NBC is going to want a huge make-good on this, especially since it's going to be dumped into Sunday* where it will compete with the usual regional game slate. CBS has the doubleheader this Sunday and was going to go full-national with Chiefs-Bucs, which doesn't really float my boat, so I figure it'll be a 4 ET game.

*That said, I highly doubt this Ravens situation is going to fix itself by Sunday. Still think it's possible this game happens on Tuesday, which would require next week's Ravens-Cowboys TNF to be pushed back to Monday or Tuesday. The league should probably just break the glass on a Week 18 here but they've managed to piss off everyone involved, so why should they stop now?

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I would think NBC would get a "make good" in a future season, like maybe an extra Thursday night game.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

What if this was the playoffs? I know there are not Thursday games in the playoffs, but is the a pause button there?

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Washington and Dallas is a good game.

10. outofplace

If this is true, the Steelers should be raising hell. I understand postponing the game because there are more positive tests and they don't know if there will be more tomorrow. Postponing it because the Ravens will be too short-handed is a violation of the league's protocol. Any player who wouldn't be eligible tomorrow shouldn't be allowed to play Sunday even if they don't test positive.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2 equally matched weak teams can make for a compettive game, but good?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Times are tough. Do what you need to do to get the game in.

Draft saved Draft deleted