1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Diego Maradona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Nov 25, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I want to say I saw him play at the Cotton Bowl in 1994. I was there, anyway.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think he was suspended starting that game. His goal against Greece in the first game though was a spectacular team goal.

3_Octave_Fart likes this.
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Maradona failed the drug test after the first game, which is the video above, which was at the original Foxboro (why we used that stadium, who knows?) Argentina went 2-1 but still finished third in their group after losing 2-0 to Bulgaria at the Cotton Bowl in the last group game, which looks like the one you mention. They still advanced (that was the last World Cup with 24 teams) and lost the first knockout game to Romania.

Just a virtuoso rock star who just happened to have a ball instead of a guitar. Probably a small wonder he made it to 60.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thank you, yes it was Bulgaria. Hot as balls, yuge crowd, as spirited as any I've ever seen for the other football.

Go big or go home- I like that governing philosophy. He lived it.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Gave my favorite Serie A team its best years. RIP.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Used Foxboro because FIFA was sure it'd sell out, which it did.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey I was there too. Those pasty white Europeans were dropping like flies from the Texas heat.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This is true. FIFA is still counting the money they made in 1994. I simply asked because all indications were that the original Foxboro was an affront against architecture and good taste.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, my it was an awful dump. Also, it barely held an American football field, so fitting soccer into it meant there was like two yards of room from sideline to walls.

wicked likes this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If you haven’t seen the HBO documentary it is a great look at an almost comically flawed figure.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is, yes. A man of, uh, appetite.

A thoroughgoing asshole is being lionized worldwide. He was great, though. Even as great doesn’t always mean good.

Draft saved Draft deleted