1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Week 12 college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... supervised with oversight - and betting lines - courtesy of The Sopranos.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm hoping for about 15 overtimes just so the NCAA has to come face to face with the sheer stupidity of the two-point conversion rule.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Coastal Carolina and App State, and it was a hell of an entertaining game that went right down to the end. I'm a G5 guy, so you'd see them anyhow.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Jerry Falwell Jr. couldn't bear to watch.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Rutgers-Michigan 2020: Pure Nihilism.

I should have known it was coming when the college hockey program I used to cover, in its first game back, played a 0-0 tie in front of no fans, followed by a shootout for no reason (as it was a non-league game, officially).

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It’s an odd top 25 because lesser programs were piling up wins against other lesser programs and getting into the top 25 while better programs were sitting waiting to play.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Agreed, except for the few teams that do them well and have All-World running backs. And then they’re unstoppable.

They also always work against Todd Grantham defenses. But so does everything else.

BitterYoungMatador2 and maumann like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oregon not covering the spread at home against UCLA pretty much means the Pac-12 is out correct? Even a perfect record won't be enough to leap one loss teams.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does Revsine look like he's aged 60 years since he left WWL?

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, now we've gone from "They didn't win all their games" to "They won, but didn't cover the spread" to eliminate a Pac-12 team?

Don't be so sure about UO going undefeated, Washington's defense is nasty, nasty.

ThePac-12 Network has eliminated so many staffers it doesn't even have a live football recap show on. It's sad. I really enjoy the Big Ten's recap shows, Revsine is excellent. . And yes, he looks older, but he hasn't been on ESPN since 2007. He's 51, born on the same day as the first moon landing (7/20/69).

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

For those who went to bed, USC had a good win, but not a great win. It won't go down as a landmark victory.
    Utah has been together since June and had its first game 5 days before Thanksgiving, the last team in the country to play a game.

Lots of mistakes on both sides, each had a scoop-and-score. Utes committed 5 turnovers. The Trojans took a 24-10 lead, but the Utes scored just before halftime to close to 24-17. Trojans shut them out in the second half and controlled play, but could put up only 3 field goals, all fairly lengthy. Their last possession, they gained only about 25 yards, but got 2 first downs and knocked 5-1/2 minutes off the clock.

Trojans QB Slovis doesn't look the same as last season. Not sharp, not as accurate. Running game is spotty, but the bruiser Stepp didn't play because of the fabled Lower Body Injury, which was previously unannounced.

They spent a lot of time wondering if an undefeated USC or Oregon could get a playoff berth. PxP Dave Flemming said playing only 7 games is a definite disadvantage to the Pac-12. Analyst Rod Gilmore said if it is up to 2 more wins, it probably wouldn't be a factor, so 9-0 wouldn't. But any more than that would. So, if a team is 10-0 or 11-1, it still would be considered better than a 7-0 Pac-12 team.

Oh yeah, the announcers were at home and the cameras went out during the third quarter. Flemming was trying to call the game with info from an internet game-cast. Commercials still were available. And, the sideline announcer was named Stormy, so Trump might have been watching on the TV in his Golden Throne/Twitter room. (((Her last name is Buonantony, never seen her previously)))

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Agreed with the points. But that doesn't mean only Top 25 is discussed or only Power 5. It's "college football." There are posters with various interests from all over the country. Last I checked, that was more than OK ... not that they need my permission to be OK. And they don't need yours, either.

Regardless of how much it might piss you off or piss off the powers-to-be who have FUBARed the top level of the game, Coastal Carolina has been playing well. So has Brigham Young ... well, the university, anyway. So has Cincinnati. They're all part of college football, regardless of whether or not they get votes in the Top 25 or what conferences are doing to handle or mishandle the pandemic.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted