1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

LSU athletics’ domestic violence scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 19, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Kicked over from the Week 11 college football thread because I didn’t want to keep punting that one up for something that is only tangentially related to football (y’all may remember that several non-athlete students were also mentioned in the initial reporting as offenders).

So, from that thread:

I said something about how that had the potential to become big trouble on the bayou.

Yep.

Julia Sell, co-tennis coach at LSU, posted this yesterday.

One of her former players weighed in later Wednesday. Jade Lewis was named in the story and hadn’t posted to her Twitter account for what appears to be 2 years until this statement.

Coverage from ESPN today: Ex-LSU tennis player: Coach lied about abuse

The Advocate’s news desk, also today: LSU official might have broken federal law after Drake Davis admitted he hit girlfriend

Advocate sports columnist Scott Rabelais, this morning: Rabalais: Ed Orgeron's seat isn't that hot yet, but USA Today report has it warming up

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will be easy to kick a tennis coach to the curb.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Two of them, but if you go back and read it all the rot goes deep into both athletics and the university administration.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This will only matter re Coach O if they try to fire him for cause.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm a loss to understand why a women's tennis coach would do what she did. I can only conclude she's pretty, well, stupid.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear from anyone who works at The Advocate on how three USA Today reporters, none of whom live in Baton Rouge, let alone Louisiana, scooped the shit out of them on this story.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Probably a combination of no staff and no interest in hurting the home team.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the first home town paper to turn a blind eye to the offenses of Enormous Local U.

BurnsWhenIPee and wicked like this.
  10. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

What a shame. I saw someone call out multiple Advocate staff members about this on Twitter. Nothing but silence.

Draft saved Draft deleted