1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Nantz must have almost as much time in as all of them out together? Like beating their best ball on your own.

I think that if Nantz retired from the broadcast, he would get tapped for membership. His connection to the powers that be is very strong.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

He just did his 35th Masters. He took over 18 for Summerall in 1995, when Pat left for Fox after CBS lost the NFL.

Scully did eight Masters. Schenkel did nine.

maumann and Tighthead like this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Did Nantz sort or serve as host when Summerall was still around? I feel like he was doing the Butler Cabin ceremony before that. Maybe he replaced Musberger?

Pat and Kenny must have had some late nights together.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I first liked Nantz on NFL, then thought he was so smarmy on the Masters, then realized he's actually a very nice guy and very much enjoy him. I cannot believe that he's "only" getting $6.5M when Romo's getting 17.5M, of course Romo had that NFL contract offer, so had serious leverage. Maybe Al Michaels, Collinsworth, Buck and Aikman don't make as much as I thought. Given the magnitude of the costs of production and the fact that he does 3 marquee sports, NCAA/NFL/Masters, I would've thought Nantz broke $10M per. FWIW, I think he's worth more.

maumann and Tighthead like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

God Almighty.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Plans can change. Ask David Letterman or Conan O'Brien. If they could get the Masters, they'd pay Nantz way more than Al Michaels.

7. Michael_ Gee

Nantz was on 16 at the '86 Masters. He's often talked about it. I think it was his first one.

MileHigh likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Nantz is 61. He's certainly deserving of the big payday. CBS would be stupid to force the issue, especially how much water he carries for them between March Madness and the Masters.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

I know golf is Nantz's first love, but IMO he's really best at basketball play by play, maybe because the sport moves to fast to allow him his moments of extreme unction.

maumann likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't see the Masters and CBS breaking up, ever. What's the upside for the tooonamint to go elsewhere? They don't need money and they've got a network wrapped around their finger, including the most deferential PxP guy they could ever want alongside a multiple green jacket winner.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nantz loves licking the underside of Augusta’s ball sack more than anything. Second nine. Patrons. Second cut. He absolutely would quit everything else in his life if it meant another 20 years there.

12. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Except licking the underside of his own.

Draft saved Draft deleted