1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. He's been on DP several times and comes off, as you say, pretty normal.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There's a 10 day span when he's Masters Jim. The other times, he's just plain old Jim Nantz.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nantz' agent would be a pretty lousy agent if he didn't go after the big bucks, but I bet Nantz has told him privately not to push too hard. As mentioned, you're not going to just leave CBS and call all these events somewhere else. And it's not like Nantz doesn't have other income streams -- he's getting more than free ProV1s from Titleist, to name one.

maumann likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NBC would snap him up in a heartbeat to do its tournaments and he could have his own show on the Golf Channel. He's got options. If Augusta National even hints it'd follow Nantz to NBC, he'd get his dough.

5. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

I could not imagine The Masters without Mr. Nantz’s voice presiding.

6. Michael_ Gee

You're not old enough, Jerry. I remember Chris Schenkel, Jack Whitaker and Vin Scully as main Masters' announcers.

misterbc, maumann and Jerry-atric like this.
  7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

Who was the announcer for Mr. Nickluas’ 1986 victory? Who shouted, “Yes, sir!”?

8. Michael_ Gee

That was the announcer on 17. Looked it up. It was Verne Lundquist.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ben Wright shouted it first, when Jack eagled 15. Verne’s is more famous because that putt gave Jack the lead, and because of the camera shot of Jack following the putt in and raising his putter before the ball dropped.

playthrough likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Do you think a show on the Golf Channel would wet his beak? I kinda doubt it. And the PxP chair for Sunday Night Football appears to have its succession plan well in place.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Masters is a weird deal for CBS, obviously it's a prestige sports property, but don't they pretty much just make enough on TV sponsorships to cover their production costs, between the sponsors "arranged" via the Tournament and the limited ad breaks? I guess networks get to promote their Monday night lineups and what's up next on 60 Minutes.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And, of course, Pat Summerall.

Draft saved Draft deleted