1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I remember when NBC made Joe part of their studio show - he was terrible. He barely said anything and struggled to take positions.

Funnily enough, DJ’s father-in-law to be is pretty similar. Everybody likes Wayne, but he’s never given good quote.

maumann likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know when Nantz signed his deal, but for a guy who is the "face" of a network's sports coverage - $6.5 m a year is a deal considering the Masters, Augusta and the NFL. Really that's maybe a 30-week work year, but if you are paying Romo $17m a year, you can find the cash for Nantz.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He also does the NCAA basketball tournament and Final Four.

I quit giving a shit whether a guy making $6.5 million a year is underpaid a couple decades ago.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

MileHigh likes this.
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Completely agree.

7. poindexter

On the other hand:
    Is there one person who isn't going to watch a game because Jim Nantz isn't broadcasting it any more?

"Yeah guys, I am gonna pass on that Ravens-Chiefs playoff game. Ian Eagle is doing play by play."

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Eagle, to name one, is really good. If CBS wanted to they could certainly chop up Nantz's plate and put excellent folks in each chair, and at a collective discount. But he's also the face of the network and all but guaranteed to never embarrass them, which you can't put a price on -- or I guess you can, namely $17,000,001 per year. If I was a suit, I'd get the checkbook.

9. poindexter

I listened to a long form interview of Nantz on the No Laying Up podcast. Seems like a likeable guy.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Being "the face" of a network isn't so much as having a big audience, it's about schmoozing with the affiliates and sponsors. But I could see CBS doing to Nantz what they did to Brent Musberger, just drop him. Musberger was at his peak and they dumped him on the eve of the Final Four no less and gave the chair to Nantz. Nantz has zero leverage - where else is he going to get $6m even? Where else is he going to cover the Masters? Move to ESPN and do MNF and the early round coverage?

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nantz is a schmoozer supreme. The one time I met him, I found him to be pleasant and gracious, and I'm certainly no sponsor.

12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

CBS is very deferential to ANGC, and from my years of observing, the greencoats love Jim. He ups the schmaltz there because it’s what they want. I think the Masters is where he is most indispensable.

For all the money that CBS spends on sports, paying that sort of money to a guy who is the lead voice of three sports seems well within reason.

I’ve listened to Nantz on a few podcasts (Simmons, Shackelford, NLU) and he comes off as a pretty normal guy when he lets his guard down.

Draft saved Draft deleted