1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11 thread -- Coming straight on like a Mark Moseley field goal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 17, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

How he kicked that ... in Cleveland ... in that bitter cold ... in the AFC Championship.

I'm hurting thinking about it.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rented a vehicle once to Rich Karlis. He gave me his name so I could look up his reservation, and he seemed amazed that I remember that he was a kicker for the Broncos back in the day. Very decent guy. He had shoes and socks on both feet when picking up the vehicle, by the way ...

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Tony Franklin was the first one who came to mind for me, from his days with the Eagles. Too lazy to look, but he might be the only barefoot kicker in any Super Bowl.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. MileHigh

Karlis was in Super Bowl XXI.

6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Also, he missed the one in overtime. Wide right. I'm still bitter thinking about it.

7. MileHigh

Still looks good to me.

In 1984, he kept missing kicks by hitting uprights. The great Drew Litton had this cartoon:

[​IMG]

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

My seats were in the Dawg Pound, right on the right hash. We were all cheering because he missed. Then all the Broncos players were running on the field and the Browns were slumping off. We were all, WTF? Denver still would have won, unless the Browns fired Schottenheimer before their next possession. But at least it would have lasted a little longer.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I hope after this all ends, I never again have to see the phrase, "out of an abundance of caution." Fucking tired of reading that on every Covid-19 story of shutdowns or quarantines. I don't know why that phrase gets such a reaction out of me, but, for me, it just kind of encapsulates the whole of this shitty time.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

poindexter likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

If they have training camp in Fresno, he'll get the key to the city.

I told my brother that the Angels are now totally screwed, handing the team over to an Armenian. Of course I was kidding. We are Armenian (half) so we joke about those sort of things. My brother asked me how many eyebrows Minasian has. Tim Kirkjian surely approves of the hire.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted