1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Sep 22, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This will be awesome for my town. The close proximity of downtown hotels and arenas is perfect for a bubble. I read that the convention center can be configured for three courts, so with that plus Bankers Life Fieldhouse plus Lucas Oil Stadium, that might be all they need. Hinkle Fieldhouse and a decent-sized arena at the state fairgrounds are also close.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mountain West announces 2020-21 conference schedules. Full round-robin with a twist: Schools will meet twice at the same place with a rest day in between. For example, it'll been New Mexico at Boise State and Colorado State at San Diego State Dec. 3 (a Thursday), Friday off, and the teams playing again on Saturday.

Mountain West Announces Updated 2020-21 Men's Basketball Conference Slate

3. HanSenSE

And more news out west: New Mexico State's teams to set up base in Arizona due to the pandemic (Las Cruces isn't that far from El Paso). Men in the Phoenix area, the women in Tucson.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

A lot of league are doing this, especially mid/low major leagues like the Big South/ASun/CAA, etc. It's a smart play. Minimize travel. And for people who argue that the lack of home and home will affect the competitive balance, college baseball does this all the time, a three-game series at one school.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

On the other hand, the happy souls who won the ticket lottery and rejoiced at getting tickets to nearby regionals are just screwed. Happy 2020.

6. HanSenSE

Especially as spread out as the MW is geographically. I could see San Jose State and Fresno State, San Diego State and UNLV (or UNLV and Nevada) and Wyoming, Colorado State and Air Force doing some home-and-home arrangements, but since the question of spectators is up to local officials, there's no real home court advantage.

Worth noting too: Conference tournament is still on in mid-March in Las Vegas.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Gregg Marshall officially out, Isaac Brown the first black head mbb coach at Wichita State:

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife worked at the NCAA and the free first round/regional tix were a fantastic perk, I'd take a friend or my Dad and hit different towns every year. She left this past January (which turned out to be good timing on a number of fronts) and I've gotten over losing the free tickets considering they likely wouldn't come back until 2022.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lobos get hosed there as they lose the epic advantage of playing at home in the Pit at 5.5k elevation. Coming on the heels of their best signee in a decade getting shot and killed before enrolling, and the school being flat-out broke, things are shitty for the cherry and silver.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My team played at The Pit when I was an SID. The walk up that damn ramp leading from the court to the media room and locker rooms just sucked. It didn't help that I wasn't in great shape and, like you said, it's at 5.5K elevation. Still...

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I've been there and don't really remember the long, uphill walk. Just remember driving up to a one-story building, wondering what the hype was, then going inside and being amazed how big it was dug into the ground and realizing it was going to be very loud.
    There is a similar uphill ramp at Utah's Huntsman Center, connecting to another gym that was used as a media room for the NCAAs. Hated having to walk up there after the game, then having to walk back down to the locker rooms, then having to walk back up to write.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Remember both those walks.

Flip Wilson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted