1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Just before Nicklaus hit his famous tee shot into 16 at the 1986 Masters, Jim Nantz asked Tom Weiskopf, "What is going through Jack's mind right now?" to which Weiskopf replied, "If I knew the way he thought I would have won this tournament."

ChrisLong, maumann and Michael_ Gee like this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

That’s an all time great moment in golf broadcasting. Nantz was really young - 26 I think - and it was pretty clear he was destined for the top chair.

Have to wonder if Weiskopf was difficult. Great talent and interesting man, but was a burner of bridges. He was outstanding on that call, both with the line above and what he said after.

starts around 9:34

maumann likes this.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The best part is the last thing Weiskopf said before the swing: "Your destiny is right here."

Reminds me of Milo Hamilton's call of Henry Aaron's 715th home run. Just before the pitch, Milo says, "He's sittin' on 714."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    maumann likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe I’m mellowing but I’ve softened my stance on DJ and was rooting for him this weekend. No, he’s not the brightest bulb out there, but I’ve seen some of the videos of interactions he’s had with kids with cancer or some other medical conditions and he does try and be engaged there. It may also help that a truly dislikable person in Patrick Reed has come along to vacuum up the attention.

maumann likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That was Nantz's first major. And had the line after Nicklaus made birdie on 16, "And there's no doubt about it. The Bear has come out of hibernation."

Also interesting that Verne's "Yes Sir!" call on the 17th gets all of the attention even to this day, but Ben Wright had a "Yes Sir" when Nicklaus made eagle on 15. I suspect because of the incredible camera angle on 17, Nicklaus watching it roll in then the fist pump with Verne's call. Still get chills to this day watching that back nine.

maumann likes this.
  6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like him too, don't get me wrong. I just think media try too hard to get stuff out of him and it gets silly at times.

maumann likes this.
  8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think the call that gets overlooked was Wright saying “The battle is joined”.

CBS and Chirkanian set the bar pretty high that day.

maumann and MileHigh like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sports journalists have the same "but I can save him" mentality about athletes with not much to say that teenage girls have about bad boys. If I just keep pressing, I will be the one to ask the question that gets the athlete to reveal his soul to its innermost depths. It's ridiculous, but we've all fallen into that trap. I can't tell you what a relief it was when I finally admitted to myself that Derek Jeter was just a boring guy and there was no need to delve for more.

playthrough, maumann and Tighthead like this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

But sometimes it works
    I started to ask Jack Clark about San Francisco once when he was with the Cardinals
    He said: “Everybody asks me what I didn’t like about San Francisco. Nobody asks what I liked about San Francisco.”
    So I asked him just that and he was great after that

maumann likes this.
  11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Dustin Johnson reminds me a lot of Joe Montana. When you think about those great Niner teams, Montana really didn't seem to say much in interviews compared to his more-quotable teammates, but he had that 1,000-yard stare in key moments where you could almost imagine him mentally flipping through all of his options.

Dustin got pigeonholed early for the stuff that happened: the 2010 U.S. Open, the rules issue at Whistling Straits, the 2011 Open and three-putting the 18th at Chambers Bay in 2015. So instead of being noticed for how often he put himself in a position to win, the media spin made him appear to be just a big goof and aloof.

He's smarter than people give him credit for. I defer to his choice of Paulina Gretzky.

Tighthead likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That was my first major, too. I was in the old quonset hut of a press room watching the big picture on TV before going out to follow the leaders in. When Jack birdied 10 and 11 I figured I'd go check him out because it was such a good story, even though he still wasn't likely to win -- plus when he finished I could catch the leaders' last couple holes.

I picked him up as he got to 16. The rest is history (for him).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Hermes and MileHigh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted