1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2020-21 Baseball Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Good catch, didn't see Collins was wearing an A's uni too.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'm betting Sandy Alderson doesn't have the first clue what to do with Steve Cohen's money.

3. Songbird

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Seems like he should have had more than 23 hits.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well, 16 of them went for triples, so that's pretty amazing.

HanSenSE and Songbird like this.
  6. Songbird

lol it was a poorly done graphic. 238 hits, the 8 is on the next line.

I believe his wife is making them now. I think Jim died a few months ago.

maumann likes this.
  7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

Andrew Linker
    3h
    After a season in which he goes 27-9 with 317 strikeouts and a ridiculously low 1.73 ERA while leading Los Angeles to the 1966 World Series, Sandy Koufax finishes a mere second in the National League MVP voting to Roberto Clemente 54 years ago today.

Clemente, Pittsburgh’s nonpareil right fielder, is coming off a fine 1966 season with a .317 batting average, 29 homers and 119 runs batted in for the third-place Pirates, but his season is far from his career best as he fails to lead the NL in a single category on offense.

The award seems as much for Clemente's previous achievements as it is for his 1966 season, having led the NL in batting both in 1964 and ’65 but finishing well out of the MVP race in those years.

As for Koufax, the Dodgers’ left-hander simply is baseball’s best pitcher in 1966 as he leads not just the National League but all of the majors in wins, strikeouts and ERA, as well as starts (41), complete games (27), innings (323) and shutouts (5).

Turns out that 1966 is Koufax's last in the majors as he abruptly retires at the age of 30 with an arthritic left elbow.

Thanks for looking … Andy Linker @ www.harrisburgbaseball.com

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.26.40 PM.png

maumann likes this.
  9. Songbird

nonpareil right fielder ... what the hell does that mean?

I know what nonpareils are but how is a person adjectived with that word?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I've always been of the opinion that an everyday player deserves the MVP, the pitchers already have the Cy Young. Clemente's performance that year was great; remember this is on the downward slide (year before) to Yaz' Triple Crown with a BA of .301 and Gibson's 1.12 ERA.

11. Songbird

317 strikeouts and a 1.73 ERA? And you don't think that's deserving of MVP? lol

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It always a tough call. But pitchers have no value to his team on the days he did not pitch, which is roughly between 120 or 130 games of a 162-game season.. Position players have four times the daily impact.

Draft saved Draft deleted