1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alex Trebek/Jeopardy Tribute Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mwilliams685, Mar 6, 2019.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

It would be hell to see through that visor.

HanSenSE and UPChip like this.
  2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I heard LeVar Burton the other day and was instantly intrigued. I’m an ‘80s kid, though.

Pat Sajak in the near term?

3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Fuck no. Sajak is stupid

Tighthead likes this.
  4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He has a ridiculously easy job where they knock out a whole year in like 12 2-day sessions and gets paid in full. No need to take that job.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What is sad to think about is how unlikely they hire someone as intellectually curious as Trebek (no, I don't think Jennings gets the gig). He'd be in his office in the wee hours every morning reading clues with reference books on his desk, making sure everything was just right.

Hermes and maumann like this.
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Today is apparently Pancreatic Cancer Awareness day. I just watched Alex Trebek say it was. What a gut check.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You know what that made me think when I read this?

He would’ve been a great editor. Meticulous. Curious. Knew a ton. And knew the perfect way to deflate the ego of someone who deserved it with two or three words.

playthrough and Liut like this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

LeVar Burton might click most of the boxes, but he's 63 years old; I'd guess given their druthers, everything else equal, the powers of Jeopardy would probably like somebody late 40s/early 50s, so he could grow into an institution like Trebek did. But hey, Burton appears to be in decent shape, no reason he couldn't put in 15 years. And who knows if we'll even have "tv shows" in 2030?

Liut likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Weeks after the passing of legendary “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek, Sony Pictures Television has announced that popular contestant and “Jeopardy! Greatest of All Time” tournament winner Ken Jennings will serve as the first of a series of interim guest hosts when the trivia game show returns to production on Monday, Nov. 30.

... A long-term replacement host will not be named at this time, said the studio. ... More guest hosts will be announced in the weeks to come, says Sony Pictures Television.

Ken Jennings to Guest Host First New 'Jeopardy!' Episodes After Death of Trebek - Variety

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're holding tryouts.

Mngwa likes this.
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I imagine Jennings may have somewhat of an inside track, if he can get into a comfort zone i the host role. They could try out a couple others as well, then pick whoever seems to be adjusting the best. If it's explicitly framed as a trial run, then it's no shame to the "losers."
    Or who knows, maybe they have a big name in reserve?

Tighthead likes this.
  12. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I think that anything is possible. I agree with you that he has the inside track, but I am sure they have a list.

I do think there is added value in this approach - by putting a few different people in, it makes the eventual transition less abrupt. Replacing Alex is an incredible challenge. This dampens the transition a little, regardless of whether it’s Jennings, a no-name or a big name.

You never want to be the one to replace a legend. I think that if a permanent replacement was announced, he or she would be almost doomed. This lets the viewers ease into it a little, and accept that Alex is gone.

Draft saved Draft deleted