1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Oh thanks for the correction, I read it was for this year and thought he wanted to extend to next year.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FTFY.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Everyone's acting like Rahm broke some kind of ground here. Players have been skipping shots off that pond since the 1970s and holes in one have been made by Singh and Kaymer in recent years.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Looks like a "These Guys Are Good" commercial.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Whatever. It was freaking cool.

Guys in the NFL have been hurdling defenders for years. If someone does it again this weekend, I am still going to go, "Whoa!".

This kind of stuff is so far out of my skillset, it blows my mind.

MileHigh likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Oh, I often hit shots like that. They go over dry land, mind you.

poindexter and I Should Coco like this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And they generally don’t end up in the hole, I’m guessing.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is why the hole in one is so cruel, I've seen my buddy blade a 5 iron go 20 feet off the ground, slice 10 yds, hit 15 yrs from the green and 165 yds later go in the hole yet the only eagles I've gotten were from the fairway and par 5s.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I was playing with my late cousin and her husband at their course in Florida 6-7 years ago. Par three with a lake/lagoon guarding the left 3/4ths of the green and a narrow strip of fairway/drop zone in front of the other 4th. I hit a 6-iron feet left of the pin on the right side. Husband hits it five feet from the pin. She half tops a bouncing liner and you guessed it, an ace.

maumann likes this.
  10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Enough of this weak-ass conversation! Who should I be betting on? Give me a good longshot or two

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Paging @exmediahack

Course will be softened/lengthened early in the week by the rain. Everyone is on 5,000-calories-a-day boy.

Not a long shot, but I like Rory this week to capture the career Slam.

Shows you how much his game has cratered: Spieth is 70-1, so I guess that's a long shot but no way he's winning.

maumann likes this.
  12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Usually I'll keep my action to the Gambling Thread but here is what I have for... The Masters. Most of the bets are just for a few bucks for fun. Some are for making money.

Fun:
    Best Lefty Finish: Watson -210
    Top Former Arizona State player: Rahm -186
    Top Former Oklahoma State golfer: Fowler +150
    Former Champion to finish in Top 3 of Former Champions: Spieth +164
    Hole in One? Yes! -150
    Bernard Langer to make the cut: +110
    Mike Weir to miss the cut: -390
    Lucas Glover vs. Gary Woodland: Glover +110
    Draft Kings Special: DeChambeau's longest drive of the tournament vs. the most yardage by an NFL QB on Sunday: NFL QB +300.

Arbitrage on Make the cut/Miss the cut
    I was able to secure Plus Money > Minus Money on: Von Rooyen, McInroy, Watson, Pan, Molinari, Lashley (I have about $850 tied up on Lashley for a guaranteed win of $47).

To win it all:
    Rahm - $50 at +900.
    Finau - $25 at +3300. Note: if it loses but he places Top 10, I get the $25 back.

Draft saved Draft deleted