1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I totally agree that par is irrelevant (except when I make eagle). The biggest problem at Augusta isn’t the overall score, but the challenge of certain holes and shots - particularly the approaches on 13 and 15. They just aren’t as daunting in the modern game.

That being said, Augusta almost always produces a compelling tournament. I don’t think any other course in professional golf has so many holes with such a variance in scoring. On 13 and 15 anything from 3-7 is in play. 12 can be birdied or othered. Players can get aggressive on 16 and 17 if they are behind. 18 isn’t a remarkable hole we’ve seen birdies to win and bogeys to lose, and neither is a shock. When a player cards a 32 or so on the back to win, he has played great golf on an exacting course. That’s about as exciting as it gets.

Augusta will surrender low scores, but it’s never easy.

UPChip and MileHigh like this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Or get rid of the second cut, mow the fairways in the opposite direction of the tees again and turn the place into a racetrack that can only be slowed by a deluge. You'll get miles-long drives but the errant ones will go deep into trouble. And even then, just make peace with low scores. These guys are too darned good.

MileHigh likes this.
  3. Noholesinone

Noholesinone Well-Known Member

The club’s Tweet says, “beginning with the 2020 Masters ...” and so I take that to mean this is not a one-time deal.

MileHigh likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone know if they're gonna bring in fake crowd noise along with the fake bird noise?

maumann likes this.
  5. playthrough

If you're broadcasting from a tower off the green, how awkward is it to raise your voice for an eagle or birdie when there's no one there?

maumann likes this.
  6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Jon Rahm, goofing off during today's practice round:

I Should Coco and ChrisLong like this.
  7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Holy crap!!

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

More like this.........

[​IMG]

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. playthrough

It's those Handcrafted Handhelds that get you in trouble.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lee Elder is an honorary starter with Jack and Gary this year; great step by ANGC.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That's next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted