1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A new tradition unlike any other.

Split tees. Earlier TV times. Going to be racing to get rounds in with fading sunlight. A course that plays completely different than April. Juiced-up Bryson driving the first hole.

But .... hello, friends. It's the Masters.

2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Rory says the course is softer right now, and more Bermuda which makes chipping more difficult.

Hope the fairways firm up a little, I know they can control the greens.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The greens have been, and always will be, the great equalizer, no matter the time of year. No fans, um, patrons, will suck.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Saw a video that Poulter took today.
    Looks magnificent.
    Can't wait.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bryson can drive the first green all he wants. Can he put it in the right spot? That's what matters here.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

MileHigh and heyabbott like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm sure he'll have a monster week off the tee but hopefully won't be great on the greens. I just cannot take another round of golf media hagiography about how he's changing the game and blah blah blah.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Digging this week’s weird Masters. Fall colors at Augusta. Want to see how different the course might play.

And for deadline purposes? Gotta be done by like 4:30 every day.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Too often above the hole, and the three-jacks will more than offset any distance advantage off the tee. It has always been that way, especially in a place like Augusta.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm trying to remember the pro (Kirk Triplett maybe?) who I saw putt off the green TWICE at the 9th hole in the '99 Masters. Long hitters have an advantage on any course, but it's sure not a decisive one at Augusta.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2muchcoffeeman and Slacker like this.
  12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

For those of you who may be wagering this weekend, today is glorious. I should have gone to play the local course but have some things on the motorhome to repair.

However, the Tuesday-Wednesday practice rounds look very wet, as well as Thursday and perhaps Friday. (Damn you, Eta.) The weekend should be considerably drier. And temperatures in Augusta will be in the 70s to near 80. Way nicer weather for early November than we usually get.

I know National drains significantly well, but the greens may be softer than expected.

Draft saved Draft deleted