1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Lucky hoodie
    Lucky Met hat
    Lucky Star Trek tee
    Two blunts rolled and ready

have a good day all

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Voting in person. Roughly an hour in to what is looking to be an hour-and-a-half wait, in a state where nearly 33 percent of registered voters have already voted. I’m feeling good about this.

3. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Rhodes Scholar Aubrey Huff has California going red in Trump landslide

TowelWaver and maumann like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The reason why all the pollsters are playing this so conservatively today is because they don't want to look stupid in case there's a wacky repeat of the 2016 Clinton campaign, which basically did a Joe Pisarcik by assuming the game was already won in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and didn't seal the deal.

It ain't happening this time because Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota aren't going to slip away.

A record number of voters, anything over 150 million, essentially blows away Trump's 70 million max. As somebody said, the "pillbillies" are voting today, but they're getting overwhelmed by the lack of apathy on the part of big city voters this time around. Hawaii, Texas, Washington are states that have already exceeded 2016 totals, and at least a dozen more will certainly exceed 2016 today.

I can see where 538 and the others are playing the "it's still close" card until it isn't because the right 70 million could swing the EV. But Biden has 50 percent-plus favorable response in six separate swing states with reputable polling. If anything, the polls are underestimating Biden's strength, which is why 538 has the election around 90 percent -- just to give them an out if Trump draws a royal flush instead of the turd in the punchbowl.

If Republicans are worried about down ballots in places like Texas and Georgia, they're in a more desperate fight to hold onto the Senate. That's where they're trying to supress the voters. We're getting the "Radical Jon Ossoff" rammed down our throat instead of Trump-Biden.

I think if you got an honest answer from the campaign (good luck!), even they believe Trump is dead President walking. They lost the popular vote in 2016 and I've yet to meet anyone who is switching from Democrat to Trump in 2020 because he's so swell.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    sgreenwell, Driftwood and TowelWaver like this.
  5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

These are the people who would cheerfully go back to only white male landowners having the franchise.

gingerbread likes this.
  7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Getting ready to head to the polls, in true sports fashion, have to bang out my section as early as possible to clear the way for news (one night every four years we get a later deadline). Plan on playing the 'Sports Guy in the Newsroom on Election Night Drinking Game,' if anyone would like to join me.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Shy Trump voters didn’t even bother, I guess.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And the GOP thought AOC was dirty dancing.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You also wonder if Trump is close enough where he "covers the spread" whatever the "spread" is - there is concern that he won't concede - but if he loses bigger than "expected" it, it will look like a bigger rebuke and kind of force his hand. Election nights used to be like Christmas. This one will be like Hannukah.

maumann likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Count me in after 3 Left Coast time.

bumpy mcgee likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

This one will be like Independence Day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.