1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Blue Bell Ice Cream

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Jun 2, 2006.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

I'll say that without ever trying Blue Bell. 

The greatness of Cold Stone Creamery (or Maggie Moo's) isn't the ice cream. It's the concept.  Cold Stone ice cream is basically soft-serve, like you can get out of those machines at every little place on the block in my corner of the world.  But being able to pick the mix-ins, and watching them make the sundae in front of you, that is what makes Cold Stone so neat.  And expensive, too.  But at least they give massive quantities for the $$$!

I'm a big fan of Edy's Dreamery banana split.  But I generally buy whatever half-gallons are on sale, 'cause I'm a poor sportswriter.  ::)

I've also been told that Ted Drewes is the best ice cream ever.  Unfortunately, the main store was closed when I went on my St. Louis job interview back in the day.  ???

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't know if it's spelled right, but you are correct in your assesment. Bliss is the Montgomery Inn for dinner, SkyLine Chili for lunch the next day and then over to Graeters for dessert

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

PaperDoll: It may be blasphemy, but I prefer Fritz's over Ted Drewes when it comes to custard places. The concretes at the little Fritz's stand near my friends' house may be the best thing ever.

EVER! :)

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Never had Blue Bell but Goodberry's in the south is pretty damn good, speaking of concretes.

5. Yep ...

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

So I went to the store last night and bought some Blue Bell Cookies N Cream ice cream. Blue Bell supposedly was the first to mass market the flavor. I think basically they got the idea from a guy who once worked there.
    Anyway, when it came out years ago it used to use Oreos. Not sure what happened, I know Oreo is now used and advertised in another brand. Not sure if the Kraft people told Blue Bell to stop using Oreos, or Blue Bell decided to stop, but no matter they don't use them now, and have for years been trying to find a cookie to work. None have been as good as the oreos, and the stuff now, while still good, isn't the best cookies n cream around.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Sorry to pull this thread back to page one, but I just had to.

Reason No. 1,001 why SportsJournalists.com is so great. . .

I was walking through my corner grocery store yesterday -- it is a small store, not a chain -- and I come across a small display case with Blue Bell Ice Cream in it. It was on the other side of the store from the rest of the ice cream and was a little pricey, but I picked up a half gallon just because everybody on this thread had raved about it.

The end result. . . I like me my Blue Bell. I'm gonna keep getting me some.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Did anyone here ever eat Frusen Gladje? I did a few times some time in '84 or '85.

[​IMG]

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Best containers for mixing paint, emulsions, and all of the other stuff that makes art students mad as hatters ever!

Blue Bell was good when I was a kid and we went to get ice cream after spending the requisite fifteen minutes every family was expected to spend making cute noises at Prairie Dog Town. I'm sure it's good now, but no ice cream is 90.00 good. (Knowing it used to the be amount on the Kroger gift cards we gave people who came to the church looking for food makes the whole thing a little queasy-making for me.)

Probably just as good: Publix Greenwise Premium Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
    Amazon/Whole Foods Happy Belly Vanilla
    Magnum pints (AKA "Here." and "Here's a spoon. I have a deadline.")

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Songbird likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

As good as Blue Bell is, it isn't worth $90. H-E-B, the dominant grocery chain in much of Texas, sells its own brand of ice cream that costs less than Blue Bell and is, in my opinion, just as good.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted