1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The final presidential poll before Election Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Oct 28, 2020.

?

Who will you be voting, and how?

1. Joe Biden on Election Day

16 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Donald Trump on Election Day

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. I've already voted for Joe Biden or will be before Election Day

72 vote(s)
    74.2%
  4. I've already voted for Donald Trump or will be before Election Day

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. I'm voting for/have already voted for someone

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If the Green party platform is important to you, why not vote Biden?

1. The Greens won't win squat.

2. While Biden says that he does not back the Green New Deal (largely, I suspect, so that Trump can't use it to beat on him), his platform calls for two trillion dollars to be spent on alternate/renewable energy, making buildings more energy efficient, and the like. He says that he plans to end corporate welfare for the oil companies.

There has never, ever been a candidate who has put out a platform as Green as this, and it's one that can actually get passed and indeed may yet be pulled even further left as it moves through the Congress.

I understand the vote as a symbolic gesture of commitment, but I have difficulty understanding that one.

Mngwa and Driftwood like this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think I've posted about this previously, probably in March. Same feelings.
    I have always enjoyed going to the polling site, seeing, chatting with, thanking the workers, operating the machine -- every time since I was 18 and a registered Republican.
    I have not always voted for a Republican. Contrary to some posts above, our ability to vote FOR something is gone by the way of corrupt and incompetent candidates. We are voting for the LEAST WORSE in just about every case. In 2016, I didn't like either candidate. I voted for somebody else, don't even remember who it was. Again, contrary to posts above, I did not realize that voting for anybody but Hillary was a vote for Trump. When he won (regardless of circumstances), I said let's give him a chance and see what he can do. But those feelings slowly eroded with his comical boasts, lies and broken promises. I eventually crossed the street the first time he called us "the enemy of the nation."
    Our polling places have always been either the elementary school one block away, or a private residence 3 blocks away. In March, with Covid heating up, our polling place was the Chinese Cultural Center, 5 blocks away. I didn't want to go anywhere near. I voted by mail.
    This time, the polling place is the Chinese Cultural Center again. With Trump having effed up the USPS and a lot of other things, my wife and I took the ballot to a drop box about 3 weeks ago. Biden is the least worse.

cyclingwriter2 and Driftwood like this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Voted. Took no time at all. No waiting.

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Not true, at least where I live. Wife voted today.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Already voted. Take a wild guess ...

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I had procrastinated about getting absentee ballots and wound up having to go to the courthouse downtown. The line to file your application was two blocks long, outdoors. Took maybe two and half hours. They actually were pretty good at moving people through, making sure that people had the right documents, making copies, etc. Then they took us upstairs in groups of ten (but four to an elevator). I had a fresh e-book and plenty of battery. Relatively painless, although I hurt my knee trying to kick myself in the ass for waiting so damn long to handle it.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

What was her excuse for voting absentee at the county election board office?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Didn’t need an excuse. Just showed up and voted.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Mail-in the only option, aside from taking it to a drop box, in my precinct.

Biden, duuuuuh.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Mailed in ballot 3 weeks ago for Uncle Joe, the only candidate who doesn't think the pandemic is over.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I don’t know how that’s happening. Everything I read says that no excuse early voting isn’t available.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've actually heard it said, and agree, that this is actually a one-candidate race. People aren't voting for Trump or Biden, but rather are voting for or against Trump.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted