1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite nicknames

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Oct 26, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Tree Rollins

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

John "Hot Rod" Williams, especially after he put on a bunch of weight and cruel sportswriters began to refer to him as "Hot Plate".

CD Boogie, heyabbott and maumann like this.
  3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Chet "The Jet" Walker and Bob "Butterbean" Love.

"Babe" Parilli. Harold "PeeWee" Reese and Jerome Hanna "Dizzy" Dean, my favorite TV broadcasting pair of all time. .

misterbc likes this.
  4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Was Jeff Francouer called Frenchy when he was a player or was that a clubhouse nickname? For some reason, it bothered me when Ron Darling kept calling him that during the playoffs.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Waner brothers were Big Poison and Little Poison.

According to Wikipedia, "They got their nicknames from a Brooklyn Dodgers fan's pronunciation of "Big Person" and "Little Person", which was then picked up by a sportswriter in the stands. In 1927, the season the brothers accumulated 460 hits, the fan is said to have remarked, "Them Waners! It's always the little poison on thoid and the big poison on foist!"

I had never hoid -- uh, heard -- that before. I always pronounced it "poizon," as in deadly poison, which is where I assumed the names came from. Guess it's supposed to sound like "poisson".

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, I happened to have been born in Brooklyn, which I always refer to as "da land o' my boith."

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

PGA Tour caddies have great nicknames. Such as Steve "Asbestos" Duplantis, so named because he was fire-proof ... no matter how many times he was late or screwed up the yardage, somehow he always had a bag. Died getting hit by a taxi in Del Mar, Calif.

There also was "Disco" Dan Turning, who was busted for trying to buy cocaine in Jacksonville Beach during one Players week.

Mike "Fluff" Cowan
    "Gypsy Joe" Grillo
    Ron "Bambi" Levin (for no apparent reason)
    "Reefer Ray" Reavis

And my personal favorite, for Lance Ten Broeck (who also played on the Tour): "Last Call Lance."

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"The Master of Disaster"
    "The King of Sting"
    "The Dancing Destroyer"
    "The Prince of Punch"
    "The Count of Monte Fisto"
    upload_2020-10-28_13-31-41.jpeg

HanSenSE and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, Johnny Blood did have a nickname -- "The Vagabond Halfback." Not because he played for five teams in his 14-year career, but because one year, when he was low on cash, he hopped a freight train to get to the Packers' training camp.

A reporter found out about it and told Curly Lambeau he was getting ready to write a story about the Packers' "hobo halfback." Lambeau talked him out of that, saying he didn't want people thinking his team employed hoboes. The writer changed it to "vagabond halfback," which Lambeau decided sounded dignified enough, and others picked up on it.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Clyde Frazier.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Clyde the Glide Drexler.

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Dinner Bell Mel Turpin

Billy “The Whopper” Paultz

Brad “The Vanilla Gorilla” Lohas