1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Based on what I've heard and what I know, one out of three ain't bad. You were right about Lorre, but that isn't exactly a unique take on his work.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix may be the best thing I’ve watched in TV this year.

swingline likes this.
  3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Fargo

Beautiful filmmaking.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Watched episodes 1 and 2 yesterday and I'm hooked.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I’m glad you like it.
    It only gets better.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Finished watching this last night, then discussed it with a friend whose father was heavily involved in the shuttle project. She told me her father made it very clear that it was a bad designed, but he was not in a position to influence the O ring design. She even included it in his obit.

Over revelation for me: Peter Billingsley, who to most folks will forever be Ralphie Parker in "A Christmas Story," was spokesman for the Young Astronaut Program at the time and was there for the launch. I can't imagine being there (I turned on CNN within seconds of hearing the bulletin on radio), or even being one of the students at McAuliffe's school - hell, any school - watching it on the tube.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just finished it. Truly outstanding.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In this episode of Rockford Files, so far, they have used the words fumfering and piquancy.

First time I've heard either word.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The Sarah Cooper special on Netflix was different. She did some of her Trump lip synching and had some great cameos by big stars, by the setup was odd to me. There were laughs, however, including Helen Mirren as Billy Bush on the Access Hollywood bus.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Watched the first four episodes of Mike Binder's "The Comedy Store" doc on Showtime. I think the fifth and final episode drops Sunday.

It's frustrating as hell. I think the history of the Store is fascinating, and I know it pretty well from listening to Marc Maron's podcast for years.

Mike Binder was one of the regular comics during its first big peak in the 70s. He got damn near everyone connected to the place to talk. There is a tremendous documentary lurking in his hours and hours of interviews. Unfortunately he's a pretty godawful documentary filmmaker, and the result is a meandering, pointless, structureless thing with way too much Mike Binder in it.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thursday's binge watch was "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. After watching, I had to Google it to see if it was fact or fiction. A much more compelling story than I expected, although predictable in spots. And I'm convinced chess fans, at least in 1960s Russia, were as fanatical as fans of U.S. sports are nowadays.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've mentioned it before - but Brooklyn 99 is worth the catch-up/binge. So freakin' good.

OscarMadison and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted