1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The TV thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lou Gossett Jr. and Isaac Hayes walk into an L.A. Nazi bar ... on the next Rockford Files!

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 7.48.20 PM.png

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

dowgottnload.jpg
    Gossett and Richard Pryor on the Partridge Family episode "Soul Club."

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is one way to do a teaser during the pandemic. The cast of The Walking Dead did a read of part of a scene from an upcoming episode featuring Maggie returning and finding out Negan is not only alive but accepted as a member of the group.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The West Wing hit emotional highs which stick with me years and years later. Giving Charlie the carving knife, the framed Bartlet for America napkin, Leo telling Josh the guy falling down the hole story, etc.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I've been down here before. I know the way out.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Speaking of Leo...."Ain't nothin' but a family thing."

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Went through "Red Oaks" on amazon prime (3 seasons, 26 episodes, about 22 minutes each). It's about teens and early-20somethings working the summer at Red Oaks Country Club in New Jersey, just across the river from NYC. It starts like a takeoff of Caddy Shack, but gets less silly and deals with some real issues. Besides the girls being gorgeous, I was surprised by the references to Trump. The show is set around 1986, but was filmed in 2017. Several Trump takes that are positive toward him.

It ends with the club closing and the tennis pro getting a recommendation to a club in West Palm Beach. He gets a card with the phone number and says, "Mar-A-Lago. Sounds like a wonderful place."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I thought that was a fun watch. Paul Reiser is one of those guys I just like.

I liked the tone - it was sincere.

ChrisLong and OscarMadison like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Red Oaks is great. Did anyone catch that the characters attended showings of Alien and Dirty Dancing?
    When it ended at season two, I had mixed feelings. The last episode came to a stop right where it should, but I still wanted more.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Watching the Netflix documentary on the Challenger explosion. Exceptionally well done, and of course haunting.

One thing they covered that I didn't realize/remember (having been 11 years old at the time) was that the launch was originally scheduled for Super Bowl Sunday but mission control scrapped it late Saturday for a balky forecast. As it turned out, the launch window on Sunday was perfectly fine. Can you imagine if the explosion had happened hours before the Super Bowl?

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

1) Schitt's Creek got worse as it went on. Not as funny and the show was just repeating jokes. Catherine O'Hara and Daniel Levy were so over the top in the last few seasons.

2) West Wing sucked. Aaron Sorkin is so much up in his own ass, he is useless.

3) Chuck Lorre is a flaming asshole and puts out lowest condeminator bullshit. His shows are the simplest sitcoms that can be written. He makes no effort to do anything clever or original.

Draft saved Draft deleted