1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter - Holland, MI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

This is my former job/shop. My replacement left for another job in another state. I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Career Site - Self Service

Job Description
    The primary role of the Sports Reporter is to collect and analyze facts about sporting events by interview, investigation or observation; report and write news stories about sporting events for publication, describing the background and details of the event; submit copy for publication on deadlines.

Primary Responsibilities:

• Report and write news stories about sporting events for publication.
    • Receive assignments or evaluate leads and tips in order to develop story ideas.
    • Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
    • Arrange and conduct interviews with people who can provide information about a particular story.
    • Check standard reference sources such as books, news files and public records in order to obtain and verify relevant facts, dates and statistics.
    • Gather information about sporting events through research, interviews, experience and attendance at political, news, sports, social and other functions.
    • Investigate breaking news developments about sporting events.
    • Research and analyze background information related to stories in order to be able to provide complete and accurate information.
    • Review and evaluate notes taken about event aspects in order to isolate pertinent facts and details.
    • Review copy and correct errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines.
    • Revise work in order to meet editorial approval or to fit time or space requirements.
    • Discuss issues with editors in order to establish priorities and positions.
    • Develop and maintain a wide variety of contacts within various areas of the community.
    • Work with other staff members and internal support personnel to coordinate work
    • Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
    • Meet deadlines.
    • Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.

Minimum Qualifications:

• Degree in Journalism or related field.
    • Background in print journalism.
    • Must have a valid state driver's license and an acceptable MVR. Must maintain proof of current auto insurance and maintain a reliable vehicle.
    Come Grow with Us
    Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of nearly 140 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include the USA TODAY and more than 260 daily local newspaper brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, WordStream, and ThriveHive and U.K. media company Newsquest. There's never been a better time to join our talented team. Visit Gannett.com/Careers to learn more!
    Work Schedule
    M -F
    Locations
    54 West 8Th St, Holland, Michigan 49423
    EEO
    Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug-free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Wonder how many people are still working in the newsroom there. Holland's a nice community, but not sure there's much left to the Sentinel these days.

I applied and had an interview for a copy desk spot back in the late 2000s ... was still Gatehouse then. Interview went well, but with the recession coming on, they decided not to fill the position. Methinks there's been a lot of that type of downsizing since then.

3. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

I've liked Holland the couple times I've spent any time there, but oof, Gannett.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Always leery of any ad that doesn't tell you the pay.
    Also, the ad says the work schedule is Monday through Friday. That's either false or the person who placed the ad knows absolutely nothing about sports coverage.

5. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Agreed, but again, those interested can PM me as this is my former shop and former job.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

No photo-taking responsibilities?

7. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Always photo-taking responsibilities

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I presume the job includes at least some coverage of Hope College, which will mean Saturday games.

9. Zads07

Zads07 Member

You would be correct. There's a lot of coverage of Hope College.

Draft saved Draft deleted