1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

In 13 days Trump will continue to tell lies and rage at the world about how tough he's had it and how unfair, corrupt and rigged the election was. But he will be doing so as the outgoing President.

Two more weeks before the circus leaves town and the end of alternative facts, fake news, fake crowd numbers, Lamestream Media, gaslighting, Obamagate, the failing New York Times and on and on. Just two weeks before the show (and that's exactly what his presidency has been) closes for good.

Sure, he'll continue to tweet but it will be into a vacuum. He will be deserted by so-called loyalists like rats on a ship and then say how terrible they all were.

Will he fire everyone, even those at Mar-a-Lago? Who fucking cares.

OscarMadison, Gutter, maumann and 2 others like this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and Smallpotatoes like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He drives you over to his shit Facebook page to view the media - no thanks. I'll just watch the show.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I guess that tells you how little it matters to me.:)

Plus, it's probably been 25 or 30 years since I've been to an actual polling/voting location...

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Luckily we live in the midst of COVID restrictions or a group of graduate students might try to figure out just where the line is drawn for poll apparel.

Could I wear a plain shirt that just says, “Would you just shut up, man?”

What about one that just says, “Bigley!”?

A shirt with the Confederate battle flag?

Poll workers probably make the calls and rule enforcement, beyond blatant campaign apparel, might vary widely.

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All of those examples are fine

9. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

I assume my "literally anyone else 2020" shirt would be kosher as well?

10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The percentage difference in VAP between 1960 (109.6 million) and 2020 (UF's figure of 257.6 million) is 234 percent. Roughly 68.8 million voted in 1960, so the math shows 161 million votes need to be cast to equal 1960's percentage.

The difference between the two denominators is quite large: You're eliminating 1 of every 13 US residents in 2020 (almost 18 million people) because of ineligibility, according to the UF study. Just glancing at the UF study, that's almost 4.5 million in California alone.

If you use the same calculation for 1960 (which seems awfully high for that era), that would have eliminated 7.6 million voters down to 102 million, which brings the turnout percentage of "eligibles" to 67.4.

Kennedy-Nixon was pretty impressive. Doable in 2020? We'll have to see. It's going to be a big number in two weeks, no matter what.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people want to eliminate the ACA on ideological or legal grounds. He just wants to get rid of it because it was passed by Obama. He can’t even describe what it wrong with it or what he will change, other than it’s horrible and his non-existent plan is better. He can’t even deal with the first question pushing back.

And he just gave a simple 10 second clip for the Biden camp and every down ballot candidate to use.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What about someone who’s not actually a candidate?

[​IMG]

garrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.