1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atlantic Cares About Rich White People

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by justgladtobehere, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If this has been pointed out before I apologize, but nobody but well-to-do white people read the Atlantic. They are also exactly the kind of people who believe in elite colleges as a sign of success in our society.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I get your point. And it was what I was trying to say, I guess. But how does a leading, liberal elite publication put out such a dumb article?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Come to Lexington, Mass. sometime. It's an affluent, well-educated suburb chock full of Atlantic readers. And college admissions is by far the number one concern of the majority of its 35,000 residents. The guidance counselor at the high school is better known, better paid, and far more controversial than the football coach. Article is simple clickbait for folks like that.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  4. AD

AD Active Member

it also was a well-written, well-reported dive into a half-mad, self-obsessed, tone-deaf subculture. no matter the socio-economic plane, that's always fascinating.

sgreenwell and CD Boogie like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is off-topic I know, but came across this video looking for the "Leave no doubt" scene in Remember the Titans. The ending killed me. Love soccer parents.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It may have been well written and accurate, but have some teeth.

tonygunk likes this.
  7. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

"The kid who would have gone to Yale now goes to Georgetown"

Oh no. Not Georgetown.

Meanwhile, more than 200,000 are dead and so many more unemployed or underemployed. But think of the kids who have to go to Georgetown.

8. AD

AD Active Member

it's actually possible to think about the 200,000, the unemployed, the underemployed AND the overentitled kid who have to go to Georgetown. you do read on more than one topic a month, no?

9. tonygunk

tonygunk Member

Clearly you didn't read the whole story. It's choc full of quotes like these, where rich white people feel afflicted.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing. Tebow forbid a kid goes to the 20th-ranked college in the country.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Eric Trump went to Georgetown. Point of fact.

If you plume yourself on where you went to school ... none of that really matters anymore.
    We've been shown that amply.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Heh. Now I gotta send this story to my sister, who went to Georgetown 20-plus years ago. Maybe she wouldn't get in now.

Draft saved Draft deleted