1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA 2020 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Oct 15, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Whew, I don't know man. Six years out is a long ass time - Six years ago, Roy Hibbert had substantial value. Championships are forever, so I would have done the deal too, but they didn't even get lottery protection or Top 3 protection on most of those picks.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're the Clippers you have to roll the dice on that. If it fails, you're the Clippers. Failure is the entirety of your history. If you have a legit title shot you do what you have to.

(But if Paul George opts out and bails after next year? Ooooooooh boy. I don't think Kawhi is leaving, but if PG flames out again like he did this year he could absolutely pull the plug.)

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And just because those two leave -- it would open up roster slots for really good players, so the picks could still be in the back part of the first round.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If the NBA doesn't start until March, the season has to be majorly shortened, right? No way they want to bleed into football again, and there are (potentially) the Olympics to worry about as well.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I can't imagine they'd go in planning on a shortened season. They took a financial beating this year. They'll try to get a whole season in.

I'm guessing they'll start by mid-February at the latest and probably blow off the Olympics.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Did not see that coming. Very good hire, IMO

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

If this leads to more Reggie Miller or Chris Webber in the telecasts, we will all lose in the end.

8. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Personally, I enjoy Chris Webber

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I think very highly of SVG (he's from the Bay Area!), he's like the ultimate disheveled grinder coach, but his tenure in Det led me to question his hoops a bit (Reggie Jackson and Blake and Drummond?). In any event would like to see him win with Zion.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I saw a mock draft with LaMelo at No. 1

I'm rooting for COVID to take us all out if that's the case.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Stan the GM kind of fucked over Stan the Coach.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are three hires in the NBA.
    1. When you suck and will continue to suck so you hire someone as if out of a hat. An assistant from another club, former player, etc.
    2. When you have sucked for a while but have enough pieces that make you think you should be better in the future. A coach who has been an NBA coach before and probably at at least one stop, produced teams who were better than they should have been, made the playoffs a couple of times. (SVG fits here).
    3 When you never last as long in the playoffs as you think you should. Usually a name coach with ring or at least a Finals appearance.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted