1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Generic QB number, generic thread title, generic team name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Two schools have produced three separate Super Bowl champion QBs: Alabama (Starr, Namath, Stabler) and Purdue (Dawson, Griese, Brees). Notre Dame (Theismann, Montana) and Stanford (Plunkett, Elway) each have two.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He was handing off to Ronald Jones, who is now killing it for the Bucs.
    He was throwing to JuJu Smith Schuster, who you may be familiar with.
    He was throwing to Adoree Jackson, who is now a great db for the Titans.
    Justin Davis played in the NFL.

USC isn't Alabama, but he played with some talent at USC.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Mahomes went to Texas Tech.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Regan and OOP and Swingline, thanks for the correction! I had Googled it quick and initially had Murray in there, then decided the sample size probably wasn't big enough for him to consider him a "success" already, and transposed his college to Mahomes. (Admittedly, I'm not much of a college football guy.)

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

BYU has also had two (Jim McMahon and Steve Young).

6. Michael_ Gee

True. My bad.
    Just looked it up. The following football factories each have produced more Hall of Fame QBs than either USC, Ohio St. or Oklahoma, who don't have any. Wake Forest (Sonny Jurgensen), Northwestern (Otto Graham), Navy (Roger Staubach) and Columbia (Sid Luckman).

Batman likes this.
  7. swingline

Although Aikman originally went to Oklahoma.

8. Michael_ Gee

Yes, but he transferred so he could throw some passes.

9. swingline

Aikman as an option QB would have been a career ender for him.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting Darnold didn't have any talent around him at USC. I knew he played with Smith-Schuster and Jackson. Jackson was primarily a cornerback at USC. The most offensive touches he had in a single season was 34 in 2015.

I still wouldn't say the talent he played with was so overwhelming that it covered for him not being very good. I think that may have been true of Leinart and some of Darnold's other predecessors, but I don't see it with Darnold. I think he has issues with consistency and discipline. He needs to be coached up and he needs talent around him. He isn't getting any of that with the Jets.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I mentioned this on another thread when this topic came up, but it really is remarkable how USC has become "Journeyman Quarterback U."
    They've had 22 quarterbacks that have played in the NFL. There are a lot of recognizable names, and even some guys who have even had long careers, but the only one that has ever had what you'd call a great NFL career is Carson Palmer.
    Of the 22 on the list, Palmer is the only one to start more than 100 NFL games. Rodney Peete is No. 2 on the list with 87 starts. Which is weird, because they've produced plenty of QBs that were drafted highly and busted out (Todd Marinovich, Sanchez, Matt Leinart) or played well enough to earn a starting gig somewhere and then couldn't hold it (Matt Cassel, Rob Johnson).

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Gase will not be coaching the Jets next season.

Draft saved Draft deleted