1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7: Generic QB number, generic thread title, generic team name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Oct 21, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In which the Football Team may remain the Football Team.

The Washington Football Team still might be going by its placeholder name this time next year.

"There's a pretty good chance we will be the Washington Football Team next season," team president Jason Wright told Washington TV station WJLA on Tuesday.

The team retired the name it had used for 87 years on July 13, after launching a thorough review 10 days earlier. The temporary name was announced July 23.

"I think next year is fast because of how the brand has to come together through uniforms, through approval processes through the league," Wright said Tuesday.

"We could get there quicker, it's actually pretty hard to get there that quickly because of all the steps that need to happen."​

Exec: Wash. likely to remain Football Team in '21

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Daniel Snyder still owns them. They're going to stink no matter what the name is.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is some next-level incompetence, but it is no surprise coming from a Snyder-owned franchise.

On the more successful end of things, two 5-0 teams finally meet when the Steelers play the Titans in Tennessee. This is the game postponed from Week 4 in large part because the Titans violated league COVID protocols, offenses for which they will bet away with a slap on the wrist. That helps the Titans in that they will have receiver A.J. Brown, who was injured and would have missed the game Week 4.

I felt a lot better about the matchup before Devin Bush tore up his knee in the second half of the Steelers' blowout victory over the Browns. The Steelers had the league's best run defense with Bush, but I'm not sure that is the case with Robert Spillane in there. Spillane is smart and physical but has nowhere near the speed of Bush. He also won't be on the field every down, so they also have potential communication issues with more than one player taking on the responsibility of relaying play calls on defense. Bush had held that role, and he hadn't missed a snap all season before the injury.

I suspect the run defense will still be very good without Bush, which is huge against Henry, but I'm still not sure how good Pittsburgh is. This is the most balanced Pittsburgh team in a few years, but the competition so far hasn't been great. That will change with the Titans this week and the Ravens next week.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In hindsight, they should have gone with Washington Football Club. Washington FC just sounds better than WFT.

Besides, whenever I see WFT, my mind has been programmed to read it as WTF, which I guess is appropriate for this franchise.

2muchcoffeeman, maumann and misterbc like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Perhaps there is "hope" that they'll be sold within months - or maybe they'll figure they'll need to rename themselves the Trumps (if he's re-elected) in order to get a new stadium in DC. The "Antifa" if Biden wins.
    Always thought "Legends" was the best idea for a new name. Sounds like Redskins (you don't have to change the "Hail" song) and it could refer to any great leaders in our history. I'd keep the colors

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok.
    If you're the Falcons, and you're presented the opportunity next year of Ryan or Lawrence.......

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do the same thing. Snyder's time as owner has been a steady journey from hail to fail.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Might have to rewrite the “Braves on the warpath” line.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kind of a weird deal that the crummiest teams in the league seem somewhat set at QB (if not by performance, by contract or their QB is only in their second year).
    Anyone else think it's odd that rookie QBs seem to be out-performing last year's class of QBs?
    Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Love vs. Murray, Jones and Haskins.
    Even the year before that with Mayfield, Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Jackson.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jeez man, don't start the thread without the lines ... c'mon, are you new here?

THURSDAY NIGHT
    NYG at PHI (-4)

SUNDAY EARLY
    DAL at WFT (NL)
    DET at ATL (-2.5)
    CLE (-3) at CIN
    PIT (-2) at TEN
    CAR at NO (-7.5)
    BUF (-13) at NYJ
    GB (-3.5) at HOU

SUNDAY LATE
    SEA (-3.5) at ARZ
    KC (-9.5) at DEN
    SF at NE (-2.5)
    JAX at LAC (-8)

SUNDAY NIGHT
    TB (-3) at LV

MONDAY NIGHT
    CHI at LAR (-5.5)

BYE
    IND, MIA, MIN, BAL

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Trevor, but it's too late. They won a game and may win up to three more.

Jets have that pick locked up. Where is the win coming from?

Bills
    @Chiefs
    Patriots
    @Chargers
    Dolphins
    Raiders
    @Seahawks
    @Rams
    Browns
    @Patriots

Maybe Cleveland if they're imploding too?

Falcons will have a shot at Lawrence next year, though, because he will go back for his senior year rather than go to the Jets.

12. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

He's ready to get paid. He's coming out this season, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted