1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Tab

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pilot likes this.
  2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I saw this on Vivian Howard's TV show, but with Pepsi. Is this a big thing or just rural South?

When I was in high school, there was an urban legend that an off-brand soda was created for, marketed, and sold to black Americans for the purpose of making men impotent. I think it was Faygo.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hansen's was pretty big in L.A. in the '80s. The grapefruit soda was very good.

[​IMG]

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

C & C is still the viable discount brand in a lot of East Coast groceries.

And I'll see your Hansen's and raise you a

images.jpg

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The most disgusting concoction mankind has ever come up with.

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

While the offband soda story is most likely a rumour sparked by zeitgeist-driven angst, the roots of those food fears come from true stories of tainted merchandise -or at least low quality food- being sent to stores in African-American communities. News of the Tuskeegee experiments didn't help.

Even before what we now know as cancel culture, communities were pushing back at companies they felt were exploiting them. From the late 20th C on, there was talk about coded information in trademarks, package design, and advertising.

For example: Around 1991-2 there was a rumour that Snapple was owned by the KKK. The talk was the schooners that brought tea to the New World pictured on the labels were actually slave ships. There was also that oh, so problematic K. That was enough for most people to mentally add two more of those and assume the worst. The K was actually a seal verifying that Snapple was kosher.

Some other stories that had execs in tears:

Wendy's wormburgers, which would have cost about eight dollars if they were really made of worms.

"My friend, you don't know them, they live in Amarillo. So anyway, they ate a whole bag of Pop Rocks and drank a Mountain Dew and blew out their stomach lining."

Proctor and Gamble is owned by the Church of SATAN! See the three sixes in his beard? (Actually I think this image is kind of pretty.)

P&G.jpg

justgladtobehere likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I was in a Pepsi household, so RC was a pale imitation for us. Double Cola, bottled in my town until the tornado, even worse. But they also bottled Nesbitt’s orange, strawberry and grape soda, the first of which I loved.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I bought a two liter diet today
    [​IMG]

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The sugar in Faygo probably will do a pretty good job of it without any help.

Batman likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Polar from Worcester has a great line of soda flavors like grape and raspberry lime, but they aren't distributed widely.

Other sodas I can't find are the diet flavored Dr. Peppers and Diet Crush. Dr Pepper Cherry Chocolate was great.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Cherry chocolate Dr Pepper? Sign me up.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I just threw up a little.

FileNotFound and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted