1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

F--- boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by anonymousprick, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gotta rack up those sanctioning fees

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Interim Continental Gold Belt Holder DeLuxe!

Baron Scicluna and Huggy like this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was that fight really that lopsided? I thought Lopez pulled it out, but it seemed like a 7-5 fight in terms of rounds won.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Yeah the second half of that fight was not as bad as the one judge had it. I kind of get why Lomachenko is pissed but I think Lopez won it in the last round.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I had Lopez winning 116-112. I had him up 7-0 before Lomachenko rallied. I give Lopez a lot of credit. He fought a very smart, disciplined fight.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I only caught the last two rounds so obviously I can't judge it... but I thought it was funny that Joe Tessitore spent the 12th round shouting "They're dead even! One body shot could be the difference! There's nothing separating these fighters!!"... and then they go to the judges and it isn't even close.

7. Smallpotatoes

If you're a casual fan, the first 6 rounds or so were kind of dull. The guy who keeps calling the governor of Rhode Island "the wicked witch," thinks Lomachenko should retire and he blamed him for turning off casual fans.

It wasn't really a casual fans' fight and that's OK with me.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agreed. 7 - 5 or 8 -4 is a pretty reasonable view of that fight. I had it 115 - 113.

Julie Lederman's 119 - 109 scorecard is nuts.

That said, wow.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m a casual fan and yeah, the first half of the fight was kinda dull. But I liked how the announcers were explaining that it was part of Loma’s strategy to go slow in the beginning, both to figure out the angles to hit Lopez, and also to wear Lopez down physically and mentally since Lopez usually ends his fights early.

They helped to explain to us casual fans why Loma was barely doing anything for the first half.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had it 8-4 Lopez, Loma was like Hagler against Leonard, spent way too many early rounds doing nothing while Lopez put those rounds in the bank. Lopez parked Loma at the end of his jab, with the threat of the right always there, and Loma seemed content to camp where the rain was falling the hardest through the first half. There was no way Loma was going to hurt Lopez to really turn the fight around and while Lopez seemed to tire from rounds 9-11 he really closed the show in the 12th.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. Smallpotatoes

That's exactly what I saw. And thank youfor saying that about Hagler/Leonard. I've been saying the same thing for decades.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought Lopez easily won seven of the first eight rounds. Maybe Loma the next three, 10 and 11 for sure. I certainly had Lopez winning going to the last round.

Draft saved Draft deleted