1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boxing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Did a quick search and could not find anything. There's a pretty "big" boxing bout this weekend when Vasiliy Lomachenko, arguably the best pound for pound boxer in the world takes on Teofimo Lopez. Lomachenko is an absolutely machine. So smart, knows all the angles in the ring. Lopez is great at knocking people out, but I just do not see how he can win this one.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This thread has been going since 2009:

F--- boxing

Agreed, this fight is the biggest we have seen since the return. Loma is an absolute master, magnificent footwork and balance, knows more angles than a geometry professor, rarely throws just one punch at a time, is great at finding the right distance to hit and not be hit. Lopez talks a good game - so does his old man - and I can see him coming in all fired up looking to end it early but unless he can hurt Loma early it is so easy to see him getting sucked into fighting Loma's fight, loading up with his shots and when he lets it go finds Loma is long gone.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  3. Splendid Splinter

Like his answers in this interview.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not much to add to the thinking on Loma / Lopez.

Happy to have an exciting, accessible title consolidation card on basic cable.

Loma is a generational talent. And rightly the clear favorite. But Lopez is a big hitter, ungainly and young and fearless.

The risk to Loma is highest in the early rounds, while he's ranging Lopez. Thereafter it's when he clowns, which he does often enough to mention, and drops his hands.

Should be a great night at the fights.

Splendid Splinter likes this.
  5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

What time does this fight actually start tonight? Planning my viewing

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Undercards on now, main at 7 p.m. PT, per my channel guide.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In Boxing Standard Time, that translates to about 11:30 Eastern.

Batman and Baron Scicluna like this.
  8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I’m not a major boxing fan, as the BS for the last few decades has sapped my enthusiasm, and knew nothing of these two fighters, but it was a darn good fight.

Loma just took too long to get warmed up and gave away too many rounds early on against Lopez. Lopez was able to withstand Loma’s onslaught from the 7-11th rounds and had a helluva 12th.

I wish they had more important fights on TV, but it is what it is.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Helluva fight.

11. Splendid Splinter

Loma was clearly the better boxer in my opinion. He just waited too long to go on the offensive.

But clearly, he was surprised with Lopez speed and he was worried about his power. Also, not to make any excuses, because he’s had a lot of fights in his career, but that was Loma’ first bout in 14 months. That has something to do with it.

apologies, because I forgot her name, but I don’t know what the female judge was watching. Utterly ridiculous was she scored that fight.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Her score had nothing to do with the fight I watched.

Loma's strategy was from a time when he was fighting regularly. He had to be cautious about Lopez' power shot, and his speed prevented Loma from working the angles the way he normally does. I also agree about not opening up until late in the fight. If you spot the other guy the first four rounds you'd better whip his ass from then on.

Draft saved Draft deleted